Logo timing confusion

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
sheppy99

Logo timing confusion

Post by sheppy99 »

I'm trying to make sense of the logo timing settings and after looking at the manual I find:
shrink_logo=5
;Each (dis)appearance of logo is assumed to be the given amount of seconds realier/later
;;Sometimes logo extends into the commercial for a couple of seconds. Use this to shrink the logo so it disappears before the commercial

Does this mean comskip will think the logo has disappeared 5 seconds earlier and that it comes back 5 seconds later than it really does with this setting?

Next are the before_logo and after_logo settings which I think enters a dummy black frame for channels that don't have any black frames between program and commercial?
Are these settings relative to the shrink_logo setting? So for example if the logo extends into the commercial by 2 seconds and the program has no black frames do you set

Shrink_logo=3
after_logo=1?

If not how do you set them?
Also what does "where_logo" do?

The problem I have is getting comskip to remove the commercials without playing the single advert that is attached to the main program without any black frames in between. The layout is:

Program > single advert with no blackframes > logo disappears half way through the single advert > commercials that are detected - so essentially I need a cutpoint before the logo ends
Then we have program and logo returning on the same frame without any blackframes meaning comskip sometimes returns before the adverts are over.
erik
Site Admin

Re: Logo timing confusion

Post by erik »

after_logo id done after shrinking
shrinking reduces the total length of the logo segment with twice the set number of seconds. Your interpretation is correct
where_logo is not used.
Scene changes can generate cutpoints.
Silences can generate cutpoints
Aspect ratio changes can generate cutpoints
Did you try them?
sheppy99

Post by sheppy99 »

trying them now, I'm working on a few channels at HD to it'll take some time to sort something that works. I now understand more about generating cutpoints though, thanks
stonjohn4

Post by stonjohn4 »

Looking through the tuning parameters, I see nothing about color, only brightness. I have many episodes of classic B/W TV shows I'd like to process. Can anyone suggest which parameters might be tuned to remove any frames with color? The show content itself is never in color, always in Black and White.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Comskip does not process color information