Strategies for Commercial breaks with no black frames

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
psubsee2002

Strategies for Commercial breaks with no black frames

Post by psubsee2002 »

I'm still working my way through the tuning guide, so I'm not quite ready to ask for help, but I'm running into a problem with a few commercial segments that do not have any black frames between the end of the commercial and the start of the program. I'm hoping someone could point me to any of the parameters that might be useful in detecting these commercial end points.

I'm working on tuning ComSkip for a 30 minute sitcom, with 5 commercial breaks (including the start and end of the recording) and 4 show segments. ComSkip has correctly identified the start and end of 2 of the 4 show segment start points and 4* of the 4 end points (* - one is cutting the end before the credits run, but I'm not too worried about that yet).

The challenge I am having is the 2 start points that are wrong have zero black frames between the end of the commercial and the start of the program.

The first instance is at the start of the show and it is picking up the network's advertisement for another program, but only the last 6 seconds of the advertisement, not the entire one.

The second instance is when it is returning from the middle commercial break. This particular one looks like it has 2 problems, first there is another network advertisement in the middle of the commercial block (with a logo) and next, the last commercial is a 15 second late night news program advertisement. ComSkip is marking the start of the program in the next block AFTER the short logo detection but well before the show starts (I'm getting about 72 seconds of commercial scored as a show).
erik
Site Admin

Re: Strategies for Commercial breaks with no black frames

Post by erik »

There are multiple ways to create cutpoints.
- Black frames
- Uniform frame
- Big scene changes
- Aspect ratio changes
- Silence
- Logo appearance/disappearance
- Other??? (don't remember, look in the documentation/comskip.txt)

Once you have about the right amount of cutpoints its all about getting the right scoring.