New to this!

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
Nightwalker

New to this!

Post by Nightwalker »

Complete newbie to this but my GBpvr is working pretty well so I'm on to try and learn something else for awhile.

I've downloaded the comskip files, dropped them into the GBpvr directory and clicked on the appropriate items in the GBpvr config. It does seem to run after a program records but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing now. It generates the text and log files. I guess I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm trying to read through the instructions and the tunning guide but so far most of it is way over my head.

I guess what I'm asking here is what to expect?

when playing back a recording that has had comskip run on it does it just skip over the commercials as it goes, or does it need input from me as i watch?

I'm using the ini file that came with the download, is there something better i should be using for US TV?

I did find and put in a dictionary file i found on the forums over at GBpvr.

Anyway I'm off to do some more reading any help getting this to work will be most appreciated. :?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

When you playback a recording on GBPVR there is a button that you can hit during playback when you get into a commercial and then GBPVR will read the .TXT file generated by comskip to skip to after the commercial.
Another option for those that do not use gbpvr or any other mpeg player that can read the .TXT file is to run a mpeg editor to delete the commercials from the recording.
There are a couple of those editors but there is one very simple quick one that can run automatically after comskip, its call comclean and you can also download it from my server http://mk.kaashoek.com/gbpvr
Only use comclean when you want to watch the clean files and can accept an occasional mistake in the detection process. comclean does of course create a backup of the original file so nothing is realy lost.

So it depends on the way you use GBPVR what is best for you.

With repect to your other question: Can I use the included ini file for NTSC in the USA the answer is very short or very long.
I have tested comskip on NTSC and it works.
So if it works for you you do not need to make any changes (just let me know you are happy :)).
If it does not work you can help me in a very simple way to improve it.
Its up to you.

If you want to check if it works you can use the tuning procedure described in the tuning guide to verify the initial performance.

Just run comskip on a recording with the "-w" switch set and watch the result in the debugwindow

comskip -w "c:\ my videos\favourite show.mpg"
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

Eric, thanks for the reply. i'm going to do a little more reading so i don't ask too many stupid questions, no promises :)

I've been reading all the comskip posts over on the GBpvr forum. I'm getting the impression that some users have gotten it to work without using the skip button or the 0+skip, it just skipped over the commercial. that would be sweet as i don't keep much i record off tv and if i do i manually edit and save to a dvd.

One question about ini files. i've seen some posted that the users swear work well, but this is a later version and i don't know if any of these would just screw things up or not.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

If you don't want to use the skip button because you want to store it on a dvd then I suggest you use the womble MPEG-VCR or the Videoredo output.
Both are mpeg editors and Comskip can output a so called cut list that can be used as input to these editors to do the final manual edit.
You also can use comclean

Your postprocessing.bat file would look like this.

comskip.exe %1
call comclean %1

This will first run comskip to identify the commercials and then run comclean to remove them from the recording.

With respect to the posted ini files.
Substantial changes have been implemented over time so I suggest to start with the included ini file and use the tuning guide and the debugwindow to create a ini file optimized for you.
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

That answers my questions for now, thank you. I'm off to do some more reading.

I'm mostly interested in just skipping over rather than cutting out commercials at this point. I think i'll work on one thing at a time :)