Disable Logo Detection

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
Wilky13

Disable Logo Detection

Post by Wilky13 »

I have an issue where ABC doesn't show it's icon until 5-10 seconds into the show after a commercial break and CBS shows its icon during ads for other shows. It seems comskip relies heavily on logo recognition. So I started changing the detect_method to sums that did not include 2 (logo). I ran several FOX, CBS, NBC, and ABC shows through on detect_method=237 last night and got excellent results except for "Modern Family" on ABC tends to cut a few seconds after a commercial break if the opening scene is when one of the characters is doing their 'monologs' on the couch to the camera (it doesn't pick up until the ABC logo appears). And "Person of Interest" on CBS still shows commercials that have the CBS logo (like ads for Survivor and Undercover Boss). I thought using a detect_method that did NOT have =2 (logo) incorporated into the sum would rely on scene changes, black frames, aspect change, and incorporate fuzzy logic to detect blocks. But it seems it is still cutting when the channel logo appears or disappears.

Any thoughts?
erik
Site Admin

Re: Disable Logo Detection

Post by erik »

Logo can be used both for finding cut points and for scoring blocks towards swow or commercial
Set
verbose=10
and study the log file together with reading comskip.txt and tuning.htm to understand the process.
If its too difficult you can follow the "how to ask for help" post, preferrably with a couple of recordings from different chnnels, and I will be glad to help tuning.

There are some comskip.ini to be found on various fora but they may be from the pre-HD area
Price9

Post by Price9 »

Thanks for the information.
facted

Post by facted »

I've also had issues with modern family specifically because there is a small piece of the show (about 30 seconds) that is placed after the last set of commericals but before show end. That piece is routinely cut out as commercial. I have tried setting min_show_length from 250 down to 25 to try to capture that portion of the show, but that basically ruined all commerical detection.

Any ideas?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Please follow the "how to ask for help" post
timpane

Post by timpane »

Study the log file together with reading comskip.txt and tuning.htm to understand the process.
If its too difficult you can follow the "how to ask for help" post, preferrably with a couple of recordings from different chnnels, and I will be glad to help tuning.
Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 »

timpane wrote:Study the log file together with reading comskip.txt and tuning.htm to understand the process.
Add these 2 commands to your ABC or Modern Family profile:
always_keep_first_seconds=200
always_keep_last_seconds=60
The first guarantees you'll get the opening scene before the initial credits where there is usually no log present.
The second will catch that short clip on the end. It'll also go past it, but who cares, you are going to hit stop as soon as the show is over anyways! (unless you set the DVR to record 1 or 2 minutes past the scheduled end time, in which case you'll have to change the 60 to 120 or 180)
zoeyku

Post by zoeyku »

There are some comskip.ini to be found on various fora but they may be from the pre-HD area