Will comskip.exe choke if the .ini file gets too large?

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
sass

Will comskip.exe choke if the .ini file gets too large?

Post by sass »

As I've been testing parameters in comskip.ini, I've been adding section headings, blank lines and additional comments using the ";" delimter.

I'd like to add a lot more comments as they are a big help when I revisit each .ini later for further tweaking.

So far these larger .ini's seem to running OK, but I'm wondering if there are any side effects I may not be aware of. Or if comskip.exe will choke if the .ini file gets too fat?

Sample from an expanded .ini

Code: Select all

;LOGO INTERPRETATION
;
connect_blocks_with_logo=1		; set to 1 if you want successive blocks with logo on the transition to be regarded as connected, set to 0 to disable
shrink_logo=5				; Reduce the duration of the logo with this amount of seconds
after_logo=0		; set to number of seconds after logo disappears comskip should start to search for silence to insert an additional cutpoint
;
;ASPECT RATIO
;
cut_on_ar_change=1			; set to 1 if you want to cut also on aspect ratio changes when logo is present, set to 2 to force cuts on aspect ratio changes. set to 0 to disable
;
;MAIN SCORING AND MODIFIERS

punish_no_logo=1			; Default, set to 0 to avoid show segments without logo to be scored towards commercial

;DETAILED SCORING
;
;The following settings are used to score blocks based on the certain average aspects of video and audio.
;The debugwindow shows these averages as white or red straight lines for each block. Red lines indicate blocks that have average values above the threshold, white lines for blocks below the threshold.
;The bitmask is: 1=brightness, 2=uniformity 4=volume, 8=silence amount, 16=scene change rate
;
punish=31					;Compare bitmap to average bitmap for sum of 1=brightness, 2=uniform 4=volume, 8=silence, 16=schange, set to 0 to disable
punish_threshold=1.1			; Multiply when amount is above average multiply punish_threshold
punish_modifier=2.5			; When above average, multiply threshold multiplier score by this value
;
intelligent_brightness=0 		; Set to 1 to use a USA specific algorithm to tune some of the settings, not adviced outside the USA
;
;GLOBAL REMOVES
;
delete_show_after_last_commercial=0	; set to 1 if you want to delete the last block if its a show and after a commercial
delete_show_before_or_after_current=0	; set to 1 if you want to delete the previous and the next show in the recording, this can lead to the deletion of trailers of next show
delete_block_after_commercial=0	;set to max size of block in seconds to be discarded, set to 0 to disable 
remove_before=0				; amount of seconds of show to be removed before ALL commercials
remove_after=0				; amount of seconds of show to be removed after ALL commercials
padding=0							;Amount of seconds each commercial will be reduced both as start and end.
;
ms_audio_delay=5
volume_slip=40
skip_b_frames=0				; Set to 1 to force Comskip to skip frames for higher processing speed.
max_repair_size=2
erik
Site Admin

Re: Will comskip.exe choke if the .ini file gets too large?

Post by erik »

It will crash if the ini file gets bigger then 60kbytes
And yes, I need to implement a better ini file reader.

Beaware that the current ini reader is rather stupid.
It looks for the string "parameter=" and then tries to read the number or string after the "="

So it will also read parameters inside comments if they have the form "parameter="
sass

Re: Will comskip.exe choke if the .ini file gets too large?

Post by sass »

Thanks for those tips Erik, very useful to know.