Comskip81_052_donators: Reducing CPU load on an AMD E-450?

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
topi

Comskip81_052_donators: Reducing CPU load on an AMD E-450?

Post by topi »

Hi there at Comskip tuning support forum,

My HTPC is based on an AMD E-450 System (ASUS E45M1-M PRO, 8GB RAM) with MediaPortal 1.2.3 using it for live HDTV and SDTV via a DVB-C PCIe card. Using Comskip I run in average CPU loads from 95-99% while processing a show during recording or after recording. Without comskip running my CPU load is between 20% and 30% watching live SDTV or HDTV. The ad detection of comskip works fine for me it is only the CPU load of nearly 99% which causes stuttering sound and video frequently.
In the .ini file I tried to reduce the CPU load with:
play_nice_start=0000
play_nice_end=2359
play_nice_sleep=X where I varied X between 1, 10, 100 and 1000.
Whatever values of X I used I could not find a noticeable effect on the CPU load, which still varies between 95%-99%.
What do I do wrong? Did I miss any further tuning option?

Thanks for any help in advance,
topi
topi

Re: Comskip81_052_donators: Reducing CPU load on an AMD E-45

Post by topi »

Meanwhile I realized my mistake. I did something wrong within the .ini file.
However, I could now offer some numbers of my HTPC in the scenario in MediaPortal: watching any SDTV or HDTV channel and recording of a show plus comskip processing of it in parallel:
play_nice_sleep=10 cuts the CPU load to 85-89% in average.
play_nice_sleep=100 cuts the CPU load to 45-52% in average.
Unfortunately, with values of 10 and 100 SDTV or HDTV channels watched during recording show sometimes stuttering .
Going play_nice_sleep>100 stretches the total processing time of a recording too much for my purpose. So my conclusion is that my AMD E-450 system has not enough CPU power for the comskip task in the chosen scenario.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Most probably the stuttering is not caused by CPU load (comskip runs at the lowest priority) but because of the disk IO.
Not sure if there is anything you can do though
robnitro

Post by robnitro »

Hi!
You can use a program called prio which adds options to task manager to set I/O priority to low or background.

I use a paid program called process lasso which works very well too.