Network Promos coming up not as commercials

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
u238bigd

Network Promos coming up not as commercials

Post by u238bigd »

I've been able to set up Comskip to be pretty successful for my situation (US HDTV OTA channels). The thing that I'm most consistently seeing problems with is the situation where the network will run a promo, ie, a commercial for another show on that channel. In that instance, the network logo stays up the whole time and this promo is being marked as part of the show, and not as a commercial.

One thing that I've noticed about these promos is that there is no CC information during this particular commercial, so I was wondering if there was a way to tune Comskip to look at segments that are within a commercial time length, have a logo, but don't have CC information, for them to be marked as commercials.

Thanks for the great product!
erik
Site Admin

Re: Network Promos coming up not as commercials

Post by erik »

As this moment CC decoding is broken so I first need to repair it.
Furthermore, is not having CC on promos use by ALL broadcasters?
LastButNotLeast

Post by LastButNotLeast »

No, a lot of commercials are closed captioned now. Unfortunately (unless, of course, you're deaf and you really WANT the commercials :D ). But it would probably still be a great tool to add. :wink:
u238bigd

Post by u238bigd »

I agree that a lot of commercials are closed captioned now, however, these network promos I have noticed are specifically not CCed. So for I can say for sure that this is the case for NBC and CBS. I'll record some shows on Fox and ABC as well to check them. As I'm OTA, I'm only getting shows from the major broadcasters.
famewolf

Post by famewolf »

If you have a decent HDTV OTA config yet can you share it? I'm recording OTA and still getting some commercials..especially on CBS.
erum

Post by erum »

But I ran the latest comskip on one of the files(after making the changes to the ini).
I have the csv, edl, log, logo.txt, and txt files.
Which one do I need to turn into the .ref and do I put the time or how to I identify where the commercial cuts are?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Take the .txt file, rename to .ref and edit the frame numbers to what they should be.