Program minutes per hour

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
kerryklarson

Program minutes per hour

Post by kerryklarson »

Here's an idea for an additional parameter that might be useful. Most countries have regulations that require a minimum number of programming minutes per hour or, put another way, a maximum number of commercial/advertisment minutes. Couldn't you use such a parameter to help in commercial detection? For example, if more commercials per hour were detected than were allowed, remove the blocks the "scored" the lowest until you were within the standard. Just throwing out a thought. :idea:
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

This is already implemented.
Problem is that you have to be very precise on the percentage of commercial because any deviation of the actual percentage versus the given percentage will create wrongly classified blocks.
I did not enable this by default because for above reason the algorithm creates a lot of errors.

But if you want to give it a try
From the tuning guide (yes, its in there, just have to read it :) )
The scoring threshold can also be automatically adjusted by setting

global_threshold=0

Now Comskip will automatic try to determine a number of settings based on the exact fraction of show present in the recording and the expected amount of black frames. This is determined by

score_percentile=0.71
black_percentile=0.0073

These fractions should match exactly you broadcast conditions and any show with a lot of very dark or black frames or less then 1- score_percentile fraction commercial will mess up the automated process. They are therefore not recommended in countries with less strictly regulated broadcast conditions.

Unless you know what you are doing it is not recommended to use this automated approach.
kerryklarson

Post by kerryklarson »

I don't think I would have figured that out from the tuning guide. Glad to know the parameter is already there. Should you set the parameter above or below your cutoff? Let's say you expect 42-43 minutes of program per 60 minutes or 17-18 minutes of commercials. How would you set these parameters in this scenario?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

global_threshold=0

score_percentile=0.72
to be sure.
If you reduce you get less show.
Nortafett

Post by Nortafett »

kerryklarson

How is this working out for you?
kerryklarson

Post by kerryklarson »

Nortafett wrote:kerryklarson

How is this working out for you?
I actually haven't tried it yet. Comskip already works very well without any tweaking. I just thought this would be a good logic element. Too many programs are starting to use non-standard start and stop times, making the program a non-standard length like 59 or 62 minutes, so it makes a generic setting like this harder to use.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

In many countries it does not work at all because there is no strict regulation on the amount of commercials.
That's why I do not advocate its use outside the USA, but even there changing broadcast patterns will decrease its value.
Its kept for "historic reasons"
kerryklarson

Post by kerryklarson »

Per Erik in another thread (viewtopic.php?t=351):
Never use this approach, it no longer can work, should be removed
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Thanks!