Seeking US ATSC comskip.ini

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
korinel

Seeking US ATSC comskip.ini

Post by korinel »

The title says it all. I'm looking for a reliable comskip.ini file (or more than one if channel dependency is an issue) for US on-the-air ATSC. Most of the ones I've seen seem to be only for regular NTSC transmissions, or simply don't seem to work very well. I've tried tuning, but something is eluding me. Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
-Karl
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

If you are willing to put some effort into it I don't mind helping you with the tuning.

Could you follow this procedure?
viewtopic.php?t=34

Below you will find a comskip.ini that was used some time ago for ATSC

Code: Select all

detect_method=43	;1=black frame, 2=logo, 4=scene change, 8=fuzzy logic, 16=closed captions, 32=aspect ration, 255=all
verbose=10		;show a lot of extra info, level 5 is also OK, set to 0 to disable
logo_at_bottom=1
ticker_tape=0
subtitles=0
max_brightness=60      ;frame not black if any pixels checked are greater than this (scale 0 to 255)
test_brightness=40      ;frame not pure black if any pixels checked are greater than this, will check average brightness (scale 0 to 255)
max_avg_brightness=0	;maximum average brightness for a dim frame to be considered black (scale 0 to 255) 0 means autosetting
max_commercialbreak=600 ;maximum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
min_commercialbreak=30	;minimum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
max_commercial_size=120	;maximum time in seconds for a single commercial or multiple commercials if no breaks in between
min_commercial_size=5   ;mimimum time in seconds for a single commercial
min_show_segment_length=120; any segment longer than this will be scored towards show.
excessive_length_modifier = 1
before_logo=0
after_logo=0
ar_delta=0.05
non_uniformity=250
max_volume=500			; any frame with sound volume larger than this will not be regarded as black frame
intelligent_brightness=0 ; 
delete_logo_file=0	; set to 1 if you want comskip to tidy up after finishing
give_up_logo_search=2000 
output_framearray=1	; create a big excel file for detailed analysis, set to 0 to disable
connect_blocks_with_logo=1	; set to 1 if you want successive blocks with logo on the transition to be regarded as connected, set to 0 to disable
logo_percentile=0.92	; if more then this amount of logo is found then logo detection will be disabled
logo_threshold=0.7
cut_on_ar_change=1	; set to 1 if you want to cut also on aspect ratio changes, set to 0 to disable
volume_slip=5; Disabled
delete_show_before_or_after_current=1
delete_show_after_last_commercial=1; delete the last block if its a show and after a commercial
shrink_logo=5	; Reduce the duration of the logo with this amount of seconds
output_videoredo=0
output_cuttermaran=0
output_womble=0
output_mpgtx=0
output_training=0
output_edl=1
output_zoomplayer_chapter=0
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=0
output_vcf=0
output_demux=1
output_projectx=0
padding=0
live_tv=1
aggressive_logo_rejection=0
ar_wrong_modifier=10.0
cuttermaran_options="cut=\"true\" unattended=\"true\" muxResult=\"false\" snapToCutPoints=\"true\" closeApp=\"true\""
mpeg2schnitt_options="mpeg2schnitt.exe /S /E /R25  /Z %2 %1"
;dvrcut_options="dvrcut \"%s.dvr-ms\" \"%s_clean.dvr-ms\" "
korinel

Post by korinel »

Thanks for the offer, and sorry for the slow reply, but I think I got past my problem without additional help.

The tuning guide suggests max_uniformity for HDTV broadcasts of 1000-4000, which was way too high: typical breaks for me have 10-20 brightness, 0-100 uniformity, and 0-25 sound. I also started with too high a volume threshold. When I was more patient with the tuning method, and using the version you sent me as a starting point (I think I also had heuristics issues), I was able to get some good results. I have a couple of other problems, but I'll report them elsewhere.

Cheers,

-Karl
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Oops,

I forgot to change the tuning manual after changing the non-uniform calculation for HD.
It indeed is now identical to SD so you may be able to use one ini file for all recordings.