Comskip missing commercials / marking things it shouldnt

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
nellanayrb

Comskip missing commercials / marking things it shouldnt

Post by nellanayrb »

I'm having a problem with comskip, where it will miss entire commercials sometimes, other times it marks parts that are actually part of the show, but most times just marks part of the commercial. And it never cuts out the parts before or after the show for me. I've tried altering delete_show_after_last_commercial, and delete_show_before_or_after_current with no luck. I ran through the tuning guide, and adjusted the volume, brightness, and uniformity settings based on the excel csv output file, as instructed.
I have nocited too, that the log files I get now are really small (<20kb), but I used to use an older version of comskip (.64 maybe?) and the log files were always 700kb-2mb. Not only that, but there is never a log file for the show when postprocessing.bat runs comskip (only a txt), but only when I run comskip manually.
Here's my comskip.ini file:

Code: Select all

detect_method=47			;1=black frame, 2=logo, 4=scene change, 8=fuzzy logic, 16=closed captions, 32=aspect ration, 255=all
verbose=10				;show a lot of extra info, level 5 is also OK, set to 0 to disable
max_brightness=65      			;frame not black if any pixels checked are greater than this (scale 0 to 255)
test_brightness=45      		;frame not pure black if any pixels checked are greater than this, will check average brightness (scale 0 to 255)
max_avg_brightness=25			;maximum average brightness for a dim frame to be considered black (scale 0 to 255) 0 means autosetting
max_commercialbreak=600 		;maximum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
min_commercialbreak=10			;minimum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
max_commercial_size=120			;maximum time in seconds for a single commercial or multiple commercials if no breaks in between
min_commercial_size=4   		;mimimum time in seconds for a single commercial
min_show_segment_length=60 		; any segment longer than this will be scored towards show.
non_uniformity=500
max_volume=750				; any frame with sound volume larger than this will not be regarded as black frame
ticker_tape=0				; Amount of pixels from bottom to ignore in all processing 
intelligent_brightness=1 		; Set to 1 to use a USA specific algorithm to tune some of the settings, not adviced outside the USA
logo_percentile=0.92			; if more then this amount of logo is found then logo detection will be disabled
logo_threshold=0.70
aggressive_logo_rejection=0
connect_blocks_with_logo=1		; set to 1 if you want successive blocks with logo on the transition to be regarded as connected, set to 0 to disable
cut_on_ar_change=0			; set to 1 if you want to cut also on aspect ratio changes, set to 0 to disable
delete_show_after_last_commercial=1	; delete the last block if its a show and after a commercial
delete_show_before_or_after_current=0	; This can lead to the deletion of trailers of next show
shrink_logo=5				; Reduce the duration of the logo with this amount of seconds
padding=0
delete_logo_file=0			; set to 1 if you want comskip to tidy up after finishing
output_framearray=0			; create a big excel file for detailed analysis, set to 0 to disable
output_videoredo=0
output_womble=0
output_cuttermaran=0
output_mpgtx=0
output_zoomplayer_chapter=0
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=0
output_edl=0
live_tv=0
I'd like to get the commercials detected fairly reliably so I can use comclean, and then later on burn the episodes to dvd with myvideos. By the way, I have comcast cable and live in the US.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone might be able to provide.

P.S. Does anyone know if the output file from comclean is of reduced video quality compared to the original?
Last edited by nellanayrb on Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The quality of the comclean output is exactly the same as the input because comclean does the cutting on program stream level so it does not re-encode.

To help you improve your tuning you have to do the following.

When you want me to have a look at the tuning parameters for a certain recoding the procedure is as follows.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use the latest comskip, I do not keep old versions.

Set
output_framearray=1
and
verbose=10
in your comskip.ini
Run Comskip on the recording.
copy the generated .txt file to a file with the same name but with .ref as an extension.
Edit the .ref file such that it contains the start and stop frame numbers of the commercials as you would like them to be found.
Zip the comskip.ini, the .csv, .log and .ref files together and mail me the zip file so I can have a look.