CBS, ABC, NBC tuned comskip.ini

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
erik
Site Admin

CBS, ABC, NBC tuned comskip.ini

Post by erik »

Below you will find a comskip.ini tuned for the main USA channels.
Thanks to reboot for the tuning

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

detect_method=47 ;1=black frame, 2=logo, 4=scene change, 8=fuzzy logic, 16=closed captions, 32=aspect ration, 255=all
verbose=0 ;show a lot of extra info, level 5 is also OK, set to 0 to disable
max_brightness=60 ;frame not black if any pixels checked are greater than this (scale 0 to 255)
test_brightness=40 ;frame not pure black if any pixels checked are greater than this, will check average brightness (scale 0 to 255)
max_avg_brightness=20 ;maximum average brightness for a dim frame to be considered black (scale 0 to 255) 0 means autosetting
max_commercialbreak=290 ;maximum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
min_commercialbreak=10 ;minimum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
max_commercial_size=61 ;maximum time in seconds for a single commercial or multiple commercials if no breaks in between
min_commercial_size=14 ;mimimum time in seconds for a single commercial
min_show_segment_length=291 ; any segment longer than this will be scored towards show.
non_uniformity=250
max_volume=0 ; any frame with sound volume larger than this will not be regarded as black frame
ticker_tape=0 ; Amount of pixels from bottom to ignore in all processing
intelligent_brightness=1 ; Set to 1 to use a USA specific algorithm to tune some of the settings, not adviced outside the USA
logo_percentile=0.92 ; if more then this amount of logo is found then logo detection will be disabled
logo_threshold=0.70
aggressive_logo_rejection=1
connect_blocks_with_logo=1 ; set to 1 if you want successive blocks with logo on the transition to be regarded as connected, set to 0 to disable
cut_on_ar_change=1 ; set to 1 if you want to cut also on aspect ratio changes, set to 0 to disable
delete_show_after_last_commercial=1 ; delete the last block if its a show and after a commercial
delete_show_before_or_after_current=0 ; This can lead to the deletion of trailers of next show
shrink_logo=0 ; Reduce the duration of the logo with this amount of seconds
padding=0
delete_logo_file=1 ; set to 1 if you want comskip to tidy up after finishing
output_framearray=0 ; create a big excel file for detailed analysis, set to 0 to disable
output_videoredo=0 ;Select the output file you need
output_womble=0
output_cuttermaran=0
output_mpgtx=0
output_zoomplayer_chapter=0
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=0
output_edl=0
live_tv=0
output_debugwindow=0
excessive_length_modifier=0.01
steve_ma

Post by steve_ma »

Do the rules (in the .ini, I guess) allow settings on a per channel basis? Or do you need to tweak 1 profile to handle all your channels.

Just starting so sorry if its a dumb question.....
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

if all else fail read the instructions :D

Inside the comskip.zip distribution is a example command file that shows how to use a per channel ini file.
Tomahawk51

Post by Tomahawk51 »

Thanks for keeping up the Comskip effort. I found the program when using GBPVR some time ago. Now I have switched to SAGETV, and still use it everyday.

Question: I am a US (standard def) user. Should I use the defaults, or the settings included in this thread? I haven't been brave enough to really fiddle with the tuning, so I was hoping that I might find a better .ini file here.

Also, is it a good idea to use these settings with the newer versions - or have they been phased out?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The settings in this thread are still applicable to the latest release and they are better for USA broadcast then de default ini file.
The default ini file is a compromise for global use.
leecole

NBC, CBS, and ABC

Post by leecole »

This ini setting worked fine (100%) for NBC and CBS, however it still misses some commercials for my ABC and Fox networks. Still learning about tuning the ini.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

In case you get stuck send me the files described in "how to ask for help" and I will have a look.
Tomahawk51

Post by Tomahawk51 »

Erik,

Is it still the case that I should stick with these settings for US for all new versions?

One thing that I would love to see is a mechanism for sharing succesful customizations sorted by country. Of course, there would need to be some mechanism to capture which are regarded to be "the best," perhaps as a poll.

Of course all this gets chucked out the window if you are moving to have one definition that covers all users.

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for your efforts!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

It seems that the default ini file is delivering better results then the USA specific ini.

That is also my goal.
Gr8M1ke

Post by Gr8M1ke »

Here's my tweeked .ini. I currently live in Newport, RI and have analog cable and poor signal to boot. The default profile worked well for Fox, but wouldn't detect anything on CBS and ABC. So, I spent a day fiddling around and I think I have the 85-90% solution. Tested on The Unit, Grey's Anatomy (1:30 of show marked wrong), NCIS (approx. 25 sec of show marked wrong), Brother's and Sisters and Desperate Housewives. If anyone has any better tweeks, I'd certianly be interested.

detect_method=47 ;1=black frame, 2=logo, 4=scene change, 8=fuzzy logic, 16=closed captions, 32=aspect ration, 64=silence, 255=all
validate_silence=1 ; Default, set to 0 to force using this clues if selected above.
validate_uniform=1 ; Default, set to 0 to force using this clues (like pure white frames) if blackframe is selected above.
validate_scenechange=1 ; Default, set to 0 to force using this clues if selected above.
verbose=10 ;show a lot of extra info, level 5 is also OK, set to 0 to disable
give_up_logo_search=500
max_brightness=70 ;frame not black if any pixels checked are greater than this (scale 0 to 255)
test_brightness=50 ;frame not pure black if any pixels checked are greater than this, will check average brightness (scale 0 to 255)
max_avg_brightness=30 ;maximum average brightness for a dim frame to be considered black (scale 0 to 255) 0 means autosetting
max_commercialbreak=600 ;maximum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
min_commercialbreak=10 ;minimum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
max_commercial_size=61 ;maximum time in seconds for a single commercial or multiple commercials if no breaks in between
min_commercial_size=14 ;mimimum time in seconds for a single commercial
min_show_segment_length=119 ; any segment longer than this will be scored towards show.
non_uniformity=3617
max_volume=680 ; any frame with sound volume larger than this will not be regarded as black frame
min_silence=136 ; Any deep silence longer than this amount of frames is a possible cutpoint
ticker_tape=0 ; Amount of pixels from bottom to ignore in all processing
logo_at_bottom=1 ; Set to 1 to search only for logo at the lower half of the video, do not combine with subtitle setting
punish=0 ; Compare to average for sum of 1=brightness, 2=uniform 4=volume, 8=silence, 16=schange, set to 0 to disable
punish_threshold=1.3 ; Multiply when amount is above average * punish_threshold
punish_modifier=2 ; When above average * threshold multiply score by this value
intelligent_brightness=0 ; Set to 1 to use a USA specific algorithm to tune some of the settings, not adviced outside the USA
logo_percentile=0.95 ; if more then this amount of logo is found then logo detection will be disabled
logo_threshold=0.90
punish_no_logo=1 ; Default, set to 0 to avoid show segments without logo to be scored towards commercial
aggressive_logo_rejection=0
connect_blocks_with_logo=1 ; set to 1 if you want successive blocks with logo on the transition to be regarded as connected, set to 0 to disable
cut_on_ar_change=0 ; set to 1 if you want to cut also on aspect ratio changes, set to 0 to disable
delete_show_after_last_commercial=0 ; set to 1 if you want to delete the last block if its a show and after a commercial
delete_show_before_or_after_current=0 ; set to 1 if you want to delete the previous and the next show in the recording, this can lead to the deletion of trailers of next show
remove_before=0 ; amount of seconds of show to be removed before ALL commercials
remove_after=0 ; amount of seconds of show to be removed after ALL commercials
shrink_logo=5 ; Reduce the duration of the logo with this amount of seconds
after_logo=0 ; set to number of seconds after logo disappears comskip should start to search for silence to insert an additional cutpoint
padding=0
ms_audio_delay=5
max_repair_size=40 ; Will repair maximum 40 missing MPEG frames in the timeline, set to 1 to disable repairing for players that don't use PTS.
delete_logo_file=0 ; set to 1 if you want comskip to tidy up after finishing
output_framearray=1 ; create a big excel file for detailed analysis, set to 0 to disable
output_debugwindow=0
output_videoredo=0
output_womble=0
output_mls=0 ; set to 1 if you want MPeg Video Wizard bookmark file output
output_cuttermaran=0
output_mpeg2schnitt=0
output_mpgtx=0
output_dvrcut=0
output_zoomplayer_chapter=0
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=0
output_edl=0
output_edlx=0
output_vcf=0
output_btv=1 ; set to 1 if you want Beyond TV chapter cutlist output
output_projectx=0 ; set to 1 if you want ProjectX cutlist output (Xcl)
output_demux=0 ; set to 1 if you want comskip to demux the mpeg file while scanning
sage_framenumber_bug=0
sage_minute_bug=0
live_tv=0 ; set to 1 if you use parallelprocessing and need the output while recording
live_tv_retries=1 ; change to 8 when using live_tv in BTV
cuttermaran_options="cut=\"true\" unattended=\"true\" muxResult=\"false\" snapToCutPoints=\"true\" closeApp=\"true\""
mpeg2schnitt_options="mpeg2schnitt.exe /S /E /R25 /Z %2 %1"
dvrcut_options="dvrcut \"%s.dvr-ms\" \"%s_clean.dvr-ms\" "
tunnanugget

What's the best .ini for usa cable tv commercials?

Post by tunnanugget »

hey erik, do you have an updated/best .ini for usa cable tv commercials for the major stations like abc,cbs, nbc, fox, espn, wb, etc? thanks.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

No, but there are many USA users both in the GBPVR forum and the Sage forum.
Why not try over there?
The out of the box settings should be OK (95%)