Commercials missed because volume -1

To discuss the tuning of comskip and for posting your ini files
woolooloo

Commercials missed because volume -1

Post by woolooloo »

I've gone through the tuning manual and have a pretty good profile that is working very well. However, I watched 24 today that was on last Monday and it really messed up a number of commercials.

Trying to make sense of it to see if it could be tweaked, it looks like the brightness and uniformity tests are being met, but the volume is being shown as -1 at virtually all of the correct black frames so they are being discarded. I interpret the manual as saying that volume = -1 if for some reason it couldn't be decoded at that point.

So is there a reason that the volume can't be decoded here, perhaps they are doing something intentionally to mess up commercial detection? Are there any tweaks I can make to stop these black frames from being discarded without messing up what is a pretty good profile? Or maybe something could be done to the algorithm so that if an otherwise good black frame block is detected with volume -1 for 15 or 20 frames that they won't be discarded?

On an unrelated issue, when I run the debug window, it shows the video as it is processing. Then when it gets to about 95% it stalls for a long time and when it finally comes back and it is finished, the video is gone. I can click on the timeline and it moves around, but it never shows video, just the graphs over a black screen. Is that normal?
erik
Site Admin

Re: Commercials missed because volume -1

Post by erik »

Please supply some more details.
Are you processing dvr-ms?
What kind of audio (mpeg, ac3, aac?)
What kind of video, mpeg2 or h.264?

-1 for the audio means the audio decoding failed.
could you set
verbose=11
run the recording through comskip and mail me the zipped log file?
woolooloo

Post by woolooloo »

It is a dvr-ms file from an HD clear QAM station.

The log file says:
added new audio stream (codec:0x0,ID:3)AC3 sound at 48 khz

I am currently processing at log level 11 and will email it to you when it finishes. Thanks!
woolooloo

Post by woolooloo »

Erik, sorry, I must have gone dense in my old age, but I don't see any way to email you on your profile, and I'm not able to add attachments to PM's. Please let me know how you'd like me to send this.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »