maximum length of comskip.ini

Where all the bugs are reported and discussed
nate

maximum length of comskip.ini

Post by nate »

Hi eric,

I don't know if this is a known issue but I thought I'd make sure you're aware of it.

I'm using 0.80.042 and created a comskip.ini from the content in the 2nd post of the "Complete list of all tunable parameters with their defaults" thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=474)
Then I added the options that were missing (such as delay_logo_search) from this other thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1047). After a while I discovered that settings changed near the bottom of the file weren't taking effect and were shown with their default values in the log file.

After a bit of experimenting I discovered that the problem occurs for anything in the file after the 20250th character. As a test I created a very simple comskip.ini like this
line 1: verbose=10
line 2: ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
line 3-247: same as line 2
line 248: ;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxyz
line 249: output_demux=1

with this file the log file shows output_demux=0. If i remove the "z" from line 248 it becomes output_demux=1.

Now that I know about this limitation I can avoid the problem by removing comments from the file, but for those who don't know, this problem could lead to unexpected behaviour and be difficult to track down.

It might be a good idea to add a note about the size limitation to the "Complete list of all tunable parameters with their defaults" text in case other people add extra stuff like I did.

cheers,
nate
erik
Site Admin

Re: maximum length of comskip.ini

Post by erik »

Indeed there is a 20kByte size limit.
Will change that
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Size limit set to 60kByte
nate

Post by nate »

Thanks erik. 60kB should cover ini files even with full comments included. The changes of someone having an ini file longer than that are slim.