.edl endings

Where all the bugs are reported and discussed
pbs

.edl endings

Post by pbs »

i get this generated by mencoder when i use the edl file to cut while encoding...otherwise it works really great! thanx for this feature...
Invalid EDL line: 3656.05 3656.09 0

Last stop position was [3656.090088]; next start is [3656.050049]. Entries must
be in chronological order, cannot overlap. Discarding.
Read 7 EDL actions.
here's the actual edl file and it jives with the .txt file..
0.03 24.76 0
631.06 791.39 0
1220.85 1402.20 0
1924.42 2085.52 0
2542.91 2724.05 0
3165.43 3356.19 0
3631.36 3656.09 0
3656.05 3656.09 0

incidentally,it's from the show,"funniest commercials of the year" and amazingly enough it got them all right! and didn't false flag any commercials from the show! lol

but notice at the end, the little one framer at the end, i have no idea what that's for, but is there a way to turn this off in .ini? i think it might cause havoc with other program's logic too,maybe just have any commercials at the end always end 2 or 3 frames from end and then the last one wouldn't clash..
it does use go ahead and process the others correctly so not really a harmfull bug, just thought you might like to know...
for those using Mencoder, here's a nice line to use to encode just about anything from a mpeg capture card while cutting out commercials..

Code: Select all

mencoder.exe %1 -cache 8192 -edl "%~dpn1.edl" -hr-edl-seek -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd  -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:ildct:vqscale=6:vqmin=3:keyint=16:vmax_b_frames=2:acodec=mp2:autoaspect:abitrate=128 -noskip -o "%~dpn1-tinycut.mpg"
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

This error is actually a feature.....
I have added a one frame commercial at the end to have information in the edl file about the total size of the recording.
But the size of one frame seems to upset mencoder.
Could you check what minimum size is acceptable for mencoder?
Is this a real problem or is mencoder happy to discard the line?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I did not read well wat you posted, the incorrect overlap is now solved in versio 79.13
pbs

Excellent! now having another problem..

Post by pbs »

seems the logic at the end is messing me up bigtime...
as it goes through each show,commercials are perfect,
but then when it gets to the end of the show it ERASES all the correct commercials and leaves me with usually only 1 or so left instead of all the ones it correctly detected...
is there any way to turn off the features that get called at the end?
also would be nice to be able to just turn off the last frame thing at the end for users that don't use it..:)
i pretty much use the standard settings..
also,was wondering what the padding means? it doesn't seem to pad as i would expect..
[show was 'the Daily Show with John Stewart' 30 mins.]
[but it happens on quite a few others]
if it wasn't for this,it would work 100%!
[then i could cut and compress all my recordings automatically :)]
sorry been gone so long,been playing with mencoder...lol
erik
Site Admin

Re: Excellent! now having another problem..

Post by erik »

pbs wrote:seems the logic at the end is messing me up bigtime...
as it goes through each show,commercials are perfect,
but then when it gets to the end of the show it ERASES all the correct commercials and leaves me with usually only 1 or so left instead of all the ones it correctly detected...

The live_tv algorithm is very crude and only works well under simple conditions. Your conditions do not seem to match the default situation but are within the limits of the live_tv algorithm.
Could you send me your ini file and a .csv file and a manually corrected .txt file of a, at least one hour, show so I can look into how to improve comskip?
pbs

okie

Post by pbs »

sure will...but it seems to happen more on the half hour ones..
even with livetv off,it does it when i use -w and watch it work, as i see it go thru,it is flagging the coms perfectly...then at the end it erases them all but on one i saw a light grey block that was a commercial but isn't marked when completed..as soon as i find a 1-hr show that doesn't work right i'll post the info..
it's performance has really improved lately i must say..:)
i appreciate the way it no longer erases the existing comms. when it bombs out on larger files with livetv on :)
also i noticed on a '43' in the current d/l's ini file.. is the logo detect broken?
thanx for all your hard work..
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

'43' means "no scene change", I have found more cases where the SC made things worse then good so decided to remove it from the default ini.
Thanks to your input I have rechecked some of the processing and found some additional errors......
I will post a new release later today, hope you can test it.

if you find the processing worse on the half hour shows then please send me some of them (including corrected .txt files, otherwise I don't know what to do)
pbs

found a fix it seems

Post by pbs »

well a tuning anyways...just made a few changes where i thought the problem was in the ini and sure enough,worked on the problem show..
tried it other similar episodes of the same show and no problem there either :)
and what's the prescribed comment signifier? ;?
seems like the lines i had after the ; would still get called...but i may be wrong..
anyways,here's the one that worked for me...

detect_method=43 ;1=black frame, 2=logo, 4=scene change, 8=fuzzy logic, 16=closed captions, 32=aspect ration, 255=all
verbose=0 ;show a lot of extra info, level 5 is also OK, set to 0 to disable
max_brightness=70 ;frame not black if any pixels checked are greater than this (scale 0 to 255)
test_brightness=45 ;frame not pure black if any pixels checked are greater than this, will check average brightness (scale 0 to 255)
max_avg_brightness=28 ;maximum average brightness for a dim frame to be considered black (scale 0 to 255) 0 means autosetting
max_commercialbreak=500 ;maximum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
min_commercialbreak=30 ;minimum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
max_commercial_size=120 ;maximum time in seconds for a single commercial or multiple commercials if no breaks in between
min_commercial_size=14 ;mimimum time in seconds for a single commercial
min_show_segment_length=90 ; any segment longer than this will be scored towards show.
non_uniformity=700
max_volume=700 ; any frame with sound volume larger than this will not be regarded as black frame
ticker_tape=0 ; Amount of pixels from bottom to ignore in all processing
intelligent_brightness=0 ; Set to 1 to use a USA specific algorithm to tune some of the settings, not adviced outside the USA
logo_percentile=0.92 ; if more then this amount of logo is found then logo detection will be disabled
logo_threshold=0.80
aggressive_logo_rejection=0
connect_blocks_with_logo=1 ; set to 1 if you want successive blocks with logo on the transition to be regarded as connected, set to 0 to disable
cut_on_ar_change=1 ; set to 1 if you want to cut also on aspect ratio changes, set to 0 to disable
delete_show_after_last_commercial=0 ; delete the last block if its a show and after a commercial
delete_show_before_or_after_current=0 ; This can lead to the deletion of trailers of next show
shrink_logo=0 ; Reduce the duration of the logo with this amount of seconds
padding=0
delete_logo_file=1 ; set to 1 if you want comskip to tidy up after finishing
output_framearray=0 ; create a big excel file for detailed analysis, set to 0 to disable
output_videoredo=0
output_womble=0
output_cuttermaran=0
output_mpgtx=0
output_zoomplayer_chapter=0
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=0
output_edl=1
live_tv=1
pbs

here's old one

Post by pbs »

old one that gave problems....
detect_method=47 ;1=black frame, 2=logo, 4=scene change, 8=fuzzy logic, 16=closed captions, 32=aspect ration, 255=all
verbose=0 ;show a lot of extra info, level 5 is also OK, set to 0 to disable
max_brightness=70 ;frame not black if any pixels checked are greater than this (scale 0 to 255)
test_brightness=45 ;frame not pure black if any pixels checked are greater than this, will check average brightness (scale 0 to 255)
max_avg_brightness=28 ;maximum average brightness for a dim frame to be considered black (scale 0 to 255) 0 means autosetting
max_commercialbreak=500 ;maximum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
min_commercialbreak=10 ;minimum length in seconds to consider a segment a commercial break
max_commercial_size=120 ;maximum time in seconds for a single commercial or multiple commercials if no breaks in between
min_commercial_size=10 ;mimimum time in seconds for a single commercial
min_show_segment_length=120 ; any segment longer than this will be scored towards show.
non_uniformity=700
max_volume=700 ; any frame with sound volume larger than this will not be regarded as black frame
ticker_tape=0 ; Amount of pixels from bottom to ignore in all processing
intelligent_brightness=0 ; Set to 1 to use a USA specific algorithm to tune some of the settings, not adviced outside the USA
logo_percentile=0.92 ; if more then this amount of logo is found then logo detection will be disabled
logo_threshold=0.80
aggressive_logo_rejection=0
connect_blocks_with_logo=1 ; set to 1 if you want successive blocks with logo on the transition to be regarded as connected, set to 0 to disable
cut_on_ar_change=1 ; set to 1 if you want to cut also on aspect ratio changes, set to 0 to disable
delete_show_after_last_commercial=0 ; delete the last block if its a show and after a commercial
delete_show_before_or_after_current=0 ; This can lead to the deletion of trailers of next show
shrink_logo=0 ; Reduce the duration of the logo with this amount of seconds
padding=1
delete_logo_file=1 ; set to 1 if you want comskip to tidy up after finishing
output_framearray=0 ; create a big excel file for detailed analysis, set to 0 to disable
output_videoredo=0
output_womble=0
output_cuttermaran=0
output_mpgtx=0
output_zoomplayer_chapter=0
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=0
output_edl=1
live_tv=1
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Good to hear it works well

The ini file processing of comskip is very crude.
Actually there is no comment signifier.......
Comskip searches for identifier= combination anywhere in the text and reads what after the = as the parameter.
pbs

lol

Post by pbs »

that was half of my problem then...i was using ; to comment out lines to see their effect...lol hence my trouble tuning...:)
i noticed it worked if i had a line -
; delete_show_after_last_commercial=1
it would still work...! i had to zero it to get it to shut off..
that one caused me many problems...lol
thanks...
now back to cutting and encoding with mencoder :)
enjoy!
pbs

oops! lol

Post by pbs »

oops! sorry about that...lol
seems i've been seeing that file here and there.. [timing.csv]
last time i saw it i made sure the csvout was off but i still got it so i left it alone figuring you'd fix it soon...:)
am using the very newest one now....79.12 but i just switched to it 2 days ago...so that's where that file may have come from...
but it seems it's still creating that file every time i use comskip
is there something i should turn off to make those no be created?
will send you a correct csv later..
thanx for loooking into it..
pbs

still making timing.csv

Post by pbs »

it's still spitting out a timing.csv in the comskip dir every time i run it...
sending the show's csv now...
i just did a basketball game..[3hrs+] and it did beautifully! first time in ages it's done the whole show without bombing...maybe it was the massive amount of scene cuts in sports...and the halftime part of the show is rather short and surrounded by lengthy commercials...but it's right on now! thanks! :)
[and thats with live tv still on]
in my experience there have never been whole commercials less than 15 secs here in the states..and almost all are 30 secs min. and since breaks are now a full third of an hour show standard, whole breaks are usually pretty long too..[they can't cut away every 5 mins to show more comms, so they really have to bunch them up, there's so many..lol]
for hour show it's almost clockwork,[regular intervals] but half hours are a bit tricky it seems..
anyways..
it's really amazing how good detection has become with your tuning...
it's actually addicting to watch it in debug mode! lol
i hope you're puttin that mind to good use somewhere...;)
hasta-la-skip-skip
pbs

my bad`

Post by pbs »

accidentally used an old version...i remembered you fixed that a long time ago..so many updates lately i wasn't up to date...but keep 'em comin :)
working better than ever now...