Problems with final edl file

Where all the bugs are reported and discussed
Slugger

Problems with final edl file

Post by Slugger »

Been running 0.80.12 (w/h264 support). I turned on live tv support so that the edl is created as the file is being processed. With most of my h264 recordings (from HD-PVR) I will notice that the edl looks good while it's generating, but then after the process ends the final edl is not very good at all - some commercials are found, but only the last few seconds of the commercial are marked, most of the time any commercials that were marked while the edl was being generated simply disappear at the end. Seems like comskip is performing some checks at the end before making final decisions and those checks are causing the edl to go from fairly close to accurate to not even close. Seems to happen most often with the major networks (especially recordings from NBC) and it's not as bad on Discovery HD. Also seems to be more of an issue with longer recordings (1hr+) and not as bad with 30 minute recordings. Definitely only an issue with h264 files - my mpg recordings from my Hauppauge 250 cards cause zero issues with comskip (regardless of the recording's length).

I just noticed 0.80.14 is available and just upgraded so I'll see how things go with tonight's recordings, but figured I'd post my current situation in case it triggers something for you. :)
erik
Site Admin

Re: Problems with final edl file

Post by erik »

The commercial block detection during live TV uses a much simpler algorithm.
Once finished all the intelligence kicks on, wrong intellegence in you case.
Please try
detect_method=1
on your comskip.ini and see if that make a difference.
If that still does not work you may need to read the outdated tuning manual I wrote some long time ago
Or you can follow the "how to ask for help" topic in the support forum