Confirmation of TYPE of file Comskip works on?

Where all the user feedback and suggestions for improvements go
jksmurf

Confirmation of TYPE of file Comskip works on?

Post by jksmurf »

Hi,

I use GBPVR with 2 tuners, a Hauppauge PVR150 and Lifeview TVWalker. I just realised the Walker has been producing avi files by default, as the GBPVR default settings for that device show DivX (MPEG4).

The dirs for the avi recordings do not appear to have the .txt files produced by comskip, whereas the mpg files do. Does comskip not work on avi files?
Thanks!
k.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Indeed, Comskip can only work on mpg files.

In the future I may consider changing the mpeg decoder to libavcodec allowing many formats such as AVI or DiVX (MPEG4) as input but its VERY low on my priority list.

There is however a program that is able to do commercial removal on AVI files. Its called CBREAK (google, 2nd hit)
Its uses a rather crude algorithm but it may work in the US on certain type of broadcasts.
jksmurf

Post by jksmurf »

Thank you erik!

That cleared up a big mystery for my wife :-)
Cheers,

k.
Callifo

Post by Callifo »

What about other formats which still retain mpeg2 video? I have both .dvr-ms and .ts files which both retain mpeg2 video inside their containers.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

dvr-ms is a MS owned container format. Its main purpose is to enforce DRM on recorded content.
I am not going to implement dvr-ms.
Then there is TS, for the moment I only know how to do the seeking in PS.
So maybe in the future.
Which devices to record in TS?

EDIT: I implemented both dvr-ms and ts input.
Last edited by erik on Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callifo

Post by Callifo »

Ok dvr-ms is no problem anyway, as it can be stripped back to mpeg2.

TS is the transport stream recorded directly from the tv provider. It contains all of the video (in mpeg2) as well as all audio channels (mpeg and ac3). Its not hardware dependent but software. A few pieces of supplied software (from dvb cards) as well as the OS htpc MediaPortal uses it. TS files playback using your normal mpeg2 codecs and I can supply some if needed.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I do have a SW implementation of a TS decoder but its currently not operational in Comskip.
If you have documentation on the specific TS delivered by DVB cards I would like to receive it.
Callifo

Post by Callifo »

I finally got to talking to a lead dev for MP and the response I got was the they use just a standard TS format, dumped straight from the DVB source. They do have a lot of DVB documentation in their library but the main source of it was http://www.bjpace.com.cn/tec/

Being not familar with the file structures, I wasnt sure if this was what you needed. If not I can get the other documents too.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

For those that use DVR-MS there is a utility called Graphrenderer that can convert DVR-MS to MPEG and invoke comskip.

Google for graphrenderer
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Just to confirm that Comskip can process dvr-ms files.
rhodges

Post by rhodges »

erik wrote:Indeed, Comskip can only work on mpg files.

In the future I may consider changing the mpeg decoder to libavcodec allowing many formats such as AVI or DiVX (MPEG4) as input but its VERY low on my priority list.

There is however a program that is able to do commercial removal on AVI files. Its called CBREAK (google, 2nd hit)
Its uses a rather crude algorithm but it may work in the US on certain type of broadcasts.
I keep reading wonderful things about Comskip over on the SnapStream forums, but since I use a capture device that records directly to DIVX I am unable to use it.

I did take the source of CBreak as you mentioned and changed it to generate SnapStream chapter files, but as you mentioned, the commercial detection algorithm cannot compare.

Have you had a chance to work down your priority list to Avi/Divx support? :)

Thanks!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

No chance for divx support for the moment.
Not a priority.