quiet here

Where all the user feedback and suggestions for improvements go
bmblank

quiet here

Post by bmblank »

I gotta say,I think this is the longest i've seen between posts on this forum. You must have done something right in.037 to make everybody happy. I know it sure works good for me.
erik
Site Admin

Re: quiet here

Post by erik »

Good to hear.

Next steps:
1: make liveTV in .ts work.
2: 64 bit comskip? Not sure it add's any value except it may enable HW accelerated decoding. But only one comskip at a time.
3: CC decoding and processing
4: ??
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

erik wrote:Good to hear.

Next steps:
1: make liveTV in .ts work.
2: 64 bit comskip? Not sure it add's any value except it may enable HW accelerated decoding. But only one comskip at a time.
4: ??
4: Unicode support :D
LastButNotLeast

Post by LastButNotLeast »

erik wrote:Good to hear.

Next steps:
By then, most of the commercials will have closed captions, so this may turn out to be more trouble than it's worth. Let's just hope the networks don't start putting their logos up during commercials!
bmblank

Post by bmblank »

Oh,I just got a good one! watching Bones here and all of a sudden one of those popup ads for Hells Kitchen took up a quarter of the screen. If there was a way to recognize that and wipe it away that would really make my month!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Jagad wrote:
4: Unicode support :D
Next release will have unicode filename support
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

erik wrote:Next release will have unicode filename support
Fantastic news...many thanks Erik :D
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Mmm.
Just hit a small bump.
How to you invoke comskip when using unicode file names?
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

I usually pass the recordings to comskip through the console in the "latest_file" variable in my AHK_L unicode script.
Like this:

Code: Select all

Comskip_location := "C:\Program\Comskip\comskip.exe"
latest_file := "D:\TV\Recording Service\20120427_20-59-01_TV8_Billy Elliot - ★★★★★★★★☆☆.ts"
RunWait, %comspec% /c %Comskip_location% -t --videoredo --ini="%TV3ini%" "%latest_file%",, %Hide_commandline_userinterface%
I understand the bump though. Problem is it's hard to test entering the unicode filename manually at the console
cuz the unicode stars isnt part of the system charset and displays rather funny. Drag and dropping the unicode filename movie on ffplay.exe (FFMpeg) one can see the chars the console automatically converts for replacement of the unicode stars. My active code page for the console does not handle unicode. So there seem to be a convertion from UTF-8 to ANSI going on, but I think comskip will be abled to convert them back to unicode correctly anyway.
For black unicode stars console uses = Гÿà
For white unicode stars console uses = Гÿå
Not enirely sure if these are the same chars though that the console is using (I used some chars that resembles what im seeing in the ffplay.exe test). Maybe these chars changes depending on which active code page is used in the console, so it will be hard implementing something that works for everybody.

Yeah, this is a real problem and I don't know how to pass the unicode filenames to comskip when using the console which only uses ANSI. Perhaps you have any ideas?
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

I know other developers solved it by using an internal small lib which emulates a "cmd window" abled to handle unicode. For example when starting ffmpeg for files with unicode file names a CreateProcessW argument is used.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Its already working in the debugger when I pass the filename as a UTF-8 name but that does not work outside the debugger.
Command line parameters have their wide characters converted to question marks.
Will try wmain i.s.o main as wmain accepts wide character strings as archuments.
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

Keeping my fingers crossed it will work :D
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

Hi Erik!

Did spend some time looking into the "CMD Window" alternatives and found getting cmd.exe to display unicode is impossible due to the bugs still lurking in there. Then I found something that may work passing unicoded filenames to comskip. Powershell ISE supports unicode characters and the stars displays alright. Windows 7 has Powershell ISE preinstalled "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell_ise.exe". However the test fails probably cuz the Comskip version i'm using doesn't support unicode yet.
PS C:\Program Files\Comskip> c:\program\comskip\comskip.exe -t --videoredo "20120427_20-59-01_TV8_Billy Elliot - ★★★★★★★★☆☆.ts"
comskip.exe : Comskip 0.81.023, made using avcodec
At line:1 char:31
+ c:\program\comskip\comskip.exe <<<< -t --videoredo "20120427_20-59-01_TV8_Billy Elliot
- ★★★★★★★★☆☆.ts"
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Comskip 0.81.023, made using avcodec:String
) [], RemoteException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

Using network protocols without global network initialization. Please use avformat_networ
k_init(), this will become mandatory later.
20120427_20-59-01_TV8_Billy Elliot - ??????????.ts: Can not open file
Only thing missing now is the Comskip version that supports unicode filenames. I'm very curious if it will work with powershell and wondering if there's a chance I could test it out? If so I will more than gladly do so :D

Regards
Jagad
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Unicode support available in build 0.81.038
At least it runs on my system.
Try first by dragging and dropping a recording with a unicode filename on comskip.exe and see if it succeeds.
Only then try inside your favourite PVR application.
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

erik wrote:Unicode support available in build 0.81.038
At least it runs on my system.
Try first by dragging and dropping a recording with a unicode filename on comskip.exe and see if it succeeds.
Only then try inside your favourite PVR application.
Awesome :D It works perfect...even better than anticipated! The worries I had it wasn't going to be possible to invoke comskip through the console (cmd.exe) by script was unfounded. I though input unicoded filenames at the console (which usually is a problem) would mess with the comskip output, but not so. Greatness Erik! Thanks

Now since I don't have a PVR abled to read the comskip output and I'm working around it by using Videoredo, cutting out the commercials. Trying to get the Videoredo developers see the need in converting their software to unicode has been proven hard. Yeah I know, a software costing 70€ not unicoded yet is kind of crappy.

I therefor wonder if you would be open to maybe create some other output format in the future that can be used in videoediting software already unicoded and works command line based? I'm investigating right now which alternatives there are for Videoredo and perhaps I can get back to you about more details later? For example SolveigMM Video Splitter would require UTF-16 (UCS-2 Little Endian) encoded files from Comskip.

Regards
Jagad