Auto-detect commercials via stills

Where all the user feedback and suggestions for improvements go
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I have 146GByte free on the server, so space is not a problem.

How much is the comskipGUI off?
anthonyshephard

Post by anthonyshephard »

It is hard to say.
I am basing this comment on the fact that the first time I analyse the file, it seems to find cutpoints in about the right place. However, after a bit of jumping around, they are wrong.
This data is based on gadget show eposiode 4 (not the same one I sent you)
For example first cutpoint correct found at 11331
Second cut point correctly found at 13264
Third correctly found at 28973
Then after a bit of jumping around with e and b keys the display no longer updates properly. Basically prior to a certain frame, the display and graph stays frozen
A bit of fast forwarding from 13200 to frame 19392, and the display shows the start of the file, but the frame number keeps increasing from 19392.
So hence why I suspect the decoding is broken
Anthony
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

On certain recordings with a corrupt timeline the preview will not work correctly. That is a known problem.
And I have little hope in solving that quickly.
The important question is if the cutpoints generated by comskip are correct.
anthonyshephard

Could you perhaps suggest a method that doesn't require the GUI. I don't know how to review properly if the timeline and or frame displayed is incorrect.
EDIT: I have had some success by passing the TS through MPEG conversion first. I also looked at the CSV file. Strangely frames 3207 to 3227 are scored as a perfect cut scene match (score 0) yet they do not split blocks in my file. However a score of 3 and 4 does at frame 13253 onwards. I have experimented with different cut values, but I cannot get values of zero to be detected.
So I believe the cut scene detection is okay, and the output to CSV is okay, but perhaps the threshold is wrong. Also, a further improvement could be to define a number of matches in consecutive frames to prevent false triggering. I can see that my cutscene tends to match about 5 frames when it is a good match.
I will send you this CSV file as well.

Anthony
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I found a reason for your problem.
Unlike dark frames cutsceneframes should not require silence to be acceptable. Build 80 checked for silence and therefore discarded the detected cutscenes.
I changed comskip. could you try with build 81.
It tested OK with your file.
anthonyshephard

Version 81 keeps crashing on the gadget show mpg file I generated the CSV file from, plus last weeks recording of the gadget show. Other files seem okay however. So I can't tell you whether it worked unless you can tell me how to fix the crash :-)

It is the DGIndex error, in this case before the file is displayed to screen, and both GUI and non GUI apps fail.

Edit. It seems to be the addition of the dmp files into the ini file that cause it to crash. Other files I tried at random did not have any dmp files in the associated ini.

Anthony
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I found the stupid mistake.
Your ini file is too long.
WIll be solved in next build
Within an hour
anthonyshephard

Hi Erik,
Thanks for the fast turnaround. It doesn't crash any more. I'll let you know if I get better success with cut frames now that the audio doesn't have to be zero at the same time.

Anthony
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Build 63 can preview recordings with a corrupt timeline.
anthonyshephard

Thanks erik.
As I have mentioned in an email, I am still not having much success making this method work with the gadget show. I have sent you an email with the log file following updating the ini file, with max_volume=0. Still no luck.

Anthony
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I have not forgotten.

A different approach would be to say "everything is commercial unless otherwise proven"
To enable this set
global_threshold=0.95
Now you will see that everything unknown becomes commercial.
You have to make sure the your cutpoints are at the borders of show/commercial and NOT inside the show.
Give it a try.
anthonyshephard

I didn't think you'd forgotten, but I did realise I was sending you emails without including the details on the forum.

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't do anything for me. Logs sent.
Did you know that global_threshold was not in the ini file?

Anthony
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

There are many settings not in the ini file.
When you set
verbose=10
you will see all possible settings listed in the .log file.
Most are explained either in the tuning.htm file or in the readme.txt file
Some are not supposed to be tuned and only used by me for testing purposes.

I will look again at the files you did send.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

YOu made some errors in your ini file.
Most important was a too low setting, change to
cutscene_threshold=20
Also you min_commercialbreak was too high, change to
min_commercialbreak=60
Now you have to find cutscenes closer to the comercial and a cutscene at the
end of the show
YOu then could use
detect_method=128
and with less post padding of the recording (less of the next show) also the last part will be removed automatically.
anthonyshephard

Hi Erik,
Thank you for your response. I did give your suggestions a go but no luck. Unfortunately I don't have the patience to go too much further with this particular show. I'll try another one that isn't going off air in a couple of weeks and see if I fair any better.
If I wanted to simply keep anything between two cut frames, and throw away anything outside of the two cutframes, can I do this? I am thinking of trimming some BBC shows which do not have adverts but have definate start and end points.

Anthony