Fast already...but maybe faster

Where all the user feedback and suggestions for improvements go
questor

Fast already...but maybe faster

Post by questor »

Hello Erik,

I note in the .ini file there is an option to skip frame(s), but default is off.
There are some features of commercials that might make quick scanning possible.

On a show with large frameborders it would be simplest, but maybe others also.

Suggested process -
1. scan from beginning of video until reasonable sure of 'program' and not intro or commercial
2. gather a sample of 1/2 seconds of video at each 5 second interval from the rest of the mpeg
3. perform same type of analysis as now for each sample (ate as show or commercial)
4. once this is done you could scan forward from each pre-commercial show or pre-show commercial block to find
the joining point (low noise, black frame, etc.)

For added speed I suppose a thread could be setup to use the to seek in the file to each of the
5 sec offsets and read the 1/2 second while the main thread could be using the mpeg library for the analysis.

I don't know what functions the library has, perhaps it has seek operations already, but with variable length
frames due to compression...after seeking scanning the mpg to find the beginning of GOPs would be necessary.
erik
Site Admin

Re: Fast already...but maybe faster

Post by erik »

All this is possible but there are many recordings with corrupt timelines that only can be scanned reliable in sequential order so I do not dare to implement anything that requires frequent seeking.