Station Logos, DOGs

Where all the user feedback and suggestions for improvements go
ArnoldGoat

Station Logos, DOGs

Post by ArnoldGoat »

Comskip does a splendid job of removing advertisements, which goes a long way to make TV more watchable. Even more irritating than adverts, though, are the station logos which seem to be getting bigger and brighter. I haven't found any suitable software tools to deal with this problem. Is there any chance for comskip (or a derivative) to extend its scope? It must go part of the way already, as it detects the logo for its primary purpose.
erik
Site Admin

Re: Station Logos, DOGs

Post by erik »

Once comskip has found the logo the logo file contains the coordinates of the box around the logo.
Then a tool like mencoder can be used to remove the logo by using the coordinates of the identified logo.
I tried once and it works very well.
Now someone has to make a small utility that grabs the .logo.txt files, extracts the logo coordinates and invokes mencoder with the logo removal parameters set right.
ArnoldGoat

Post by ArnoldGoat »

Thanks; I will try it.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Did it work?
ArnoldGoat

Post by ArnoldGoat »

Not so far, but I haven't given up. It's not getting much time from me at the moment. The priority has gone up a bit now: TV NZ have just doubled the size (and apparent brightness) of their DOG by adding the Olympics logo!
ArnoldGoat

Post by ArnoldGoat »

Well, yes, it does work, but as the MPlayer Man Page says: "your mileage may vary". Using the data in the comskip logo file to calculate x,y,w,h I could get -vf delogo=x:y:w:h to work. If the background is plain, it works very well. If a contrasting spot enters the bottom LH corner of the logo rectangle, you get a rather disturbing flash and blur, which may be more irritating than the DOG itself.

I will try to summon the energy to use "remove-logo" which has a more sophisticated notion of where the logo is, and can no doubt interpolate a good deal better. Generating the required mask automatically is well beyond my capability, but I might try a manual job to see if extended effort would be worthwhile.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Did you find a manual logo mask that worked in an acceptable way?
ArnoldGoat

Post by ArnoldGoat »

Have been sidetracked with a pressing MediaPortal problem, so haven't tried yet.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

OK, will wait till further news. (and by having the last post on a topic I know I have no open actions :D )