Windows 7 .WTV file format support

Where all the user feedback and suggestions for improvements go
mike_b

Re: Windows 7 .WTV file format support

Post by mike_b »

Hi,

I'm a SageTV refugee hoping to use Windows 7 Media Center in the future. I installed Windows 7 on a spare PC and then installed ShowAnalyzer, DvrmsToolbox and DTBAddin. This was disappointing. Only about 50% of the commercials were successfully skipped. I currently use Comskip with SageTV where around 95% of the commercials are successfully skipped. From what I understand, Comskip does not support the Windows 7 Media Center files. Is there any status as to when Comskip might support the wtv files? I'd be more than happy to make a donation if I could get Comskip accuracy in Media Center 7!

Thanks,
Mike
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

A version of Comskip that can process .wtv files is in limited beta.
Hope te release to early access in a few weeks
sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 »

erik wrote:A version of Comskip that can process .wtv files is in limited beta.
Hope te release to early access in a few weeks
Any chance this is ready for early access? :D
mike_b

Post by mike_b »

sccrgoalie1, just so you won't feel like your alone, let me say that I'm also anxiously awaiting wtv support. I'm still running SageTV with comskip on my XP computer. I have a Windows 7 machine built, but it's turned off and idle until I can use comskip with the Media Center wtv files. I hope to make the transition from SageTV to Media Center when comskip is ready.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Sorry to disappoint.
Remaining issues.

Some files have a cut point error of upto a second.
Some files fail to be recognized
Crash on some h.264 files.
No Live TV processing yet
Debugwindow only shows I-frames for certain recordings.

Most files process correctly
sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 »

Thanks for the EA release!
WScottCross

Post by WScottCross »

Very impressed with the latest (81.019) version! Even with the default settings it is quite accurate with the dozen or so WTV files I copied onto my test machine. Since ShowAnalyzer appears to dead in terms of bug fixes or future development, I'm happy that Comskip is stepping up to fill the gap.
Jansport

Post by Jansport »

So, I'm having comskip withdrawal. I had written a nice .NET application using comskip for all my skipping needs, but then I migrated to Win7 and the stupid new .WTV format (seriously, who thinks these thing up?). I was unhappy at having to let comskip go and rewrite my application to use VideoReDo to handle the skipping and the cutting. I had Comskip dialed in pretty well to even catch the little extra show that runs over the credits. With VRD 8/10 times that gets cut. So, I now have the application converting from .wtv to .mpg so I can use comskip to go back to VRD for the cuts. It would be GREAT if comskip could handle the file type natively.

It looks as though you're doing pretty well cracking (not implying that it is illegal) that .WTV nut. I think you've converted me to a contributor. Good job with comskip!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The donator version can handle .wtv natively.