Comskip crashing PC

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
Thanatosil

Comskip crashing PC

Post by Thanatosil »

All was well until earlier this week. Other than the usual Windows Updates, there have been no changes to the machine. However, after running fine for months on an older version of Comskip, suddenly, my machine is hanging midway through processing .mpg files.

I've since upgraded to the latest version of Comskip, but I'm having the same results...midway through processing, Comskip says it has generated an exception and needs to exit, or it hangs the entire PC.

What can I post/send that will help troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks,

Bill
Thanatosil

Error message

Post by Thanatosil »

When I run Comskip manually, this is the error message I get midway through processing:

Exception raised, Comskip is terminating.

A log file, which seems normal right up until the crash, is generated.
The txt file is also generated, but it is empty.
There is also a logo file generated.
Thanatosil

Tried turning off logo detect

Post by Thanatosil »

That seemed to help a little, as the processing seemed to progress further, but the PC eventually hung
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Is the PC totally blocked?
Do you need to reboot?
How much memory and swap file do you have?
Comskip needs lots of memory.
Thanatosil

Additional info

Post by Thanatosil »

The PC totally hangs, but no BSOD, and needs to be rebooted.

PC has 512 MB of RAM and swap file is set to custom: 768 - 1536 MB.

Comskip was working great on this machine for 6 months+ until earlier this week, so I wouldn't think it's a problem with minimum system requirements.

After my first post last night, I experimented with one of the files that was causing problems. The results were as follows:

The file processed fine with detect methods 1 & 113.
The system crashed after processing about 25 minutes out of the 30 minute show with detect methods 3, 5, 9, 41 & 43

Thanks!

Bill
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Could you upload that file to my ftp server?
I will PM you the upload details.
Thanatosil

Maybe just dust?

Post by Thanatosil »

Good morning Erik--

A poster on GBPVR suggested that it may just be overheating, and he may be onto something...I pulled the machine out and nearly choked on the dust.

Is Comskip processor-intensive enough to be the most strenuous thing I'm running on the machine?

Anyhow, after a half-can of canned air, Comskip was able to process the file I sent you earlier, even with method 43. I'll let you know if I run into any problems with my day-to-day recordings this week, but for now, I think we can chalk this up to hardware rather than Comskip.

Thanks very much for your quick responses...hopefully you can get some benefit out of my "interesting" file at least :)

--Bill[/quote]
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Comskip can be the most compute intensive task, except for compression tasks.

Happy to hear the problem is solved because I could not find anything.
Thanatosil

Post by Thanatosil »

Well, IIRC, my video card does HW compression, so Comskip is probably ranking #1 on the machine.

Keep up the great work!

I've got some spare change in my PayPal account I'll be sending your way :)

Have a good one!

--Bill