Old Weak Feeble PC and Comskip

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
imauser

Old Weak Feeble PC and Comskip

Post by imauser »

Just installed NextPVR and added Comskip setup as ParallelProcessing.
Recorded two shows last night and watched them back this morning.

What I noticed was that everytime Comskip detected a commercial the playback would stop, usually with the screen turning black.

I eventually found that by repeatedly pressing the right arrow key I could navigate through the black line on the playback bar and playback would resume.

My question is, is this normal desired behavior? Is Comskip designed to pause at the start of commercials during playback, or should it simply skip over the commercial?

My main concern is that the file might not be processed correctly due to the age of my PC. It is a single-core P4 2.8Ghz with 1.5GB RAM. I did notice while recording and running Comskip in parallel that it was not possible to watch the program simultaneously, as the video was pretty much frozen.

I looked through the forum here and I found a previous post in the FAQ that says:
Question: Comskip is bogging down my system as it uses 100% of the CPU
Answer: Set play_nice_start=0000 and play_nice_end=2359 to reduce the Comskip load
but I cannot find such settings in the latest version.

What can I do to decrease the taxing of my system when running Comskip?

Thanks!
Reddwarf

Re: Old Weak Feeble PC and Comskip

Post by Reddwarf »

The frozen video after a skip in NextPVR (doesn't matter if it is a comskip skip or a manual one) is a known problem and has been reported in npvr's forum. As for the cpu, processing the file should be correct as long as your computer works, just slower on an old pc, but it would probably help to add more ram.