Modify ETVComskip for Donators Version w/o Live Detection

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
flyingout

Modify ETVComskip for Donators Version w/o Live Detection

Post by flyingout »

The donators version as of comskip 0.81.023 doesn't yet support live detection, i.e., while recording. The default configuration of ETVComskip (2.0.x running under Wine) launches comskip when recording starts. It promptly stops.

The workaround I used was to shift the comskip processing to the end of recording rather than the start.

I'm assuming here that ETVComskip is already installed and that you've already swapped in the donators version. (I'm still on Snow Leopard so /Library is visible. I don't know the status of ETVComskip with Lion, but you'll have to jump through the hidden /Library folder hoops if you are running Lion.)

I suggest making a copy of these two scripts first to make it easy to go back.
/Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Scripts/TriggeredScripts/RecordingStarted.scpt
/Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Scripts/TriggeredScripts/RecordingDone.scpt

Open both scripts in AppleScript Editor (double click works fine).

In RecordingStarted, comment out one line (or both if you prefer) near the top of the script by preceding it with two dashes (hyphens).

Code: Select all

set cmd to "/usr/bin/nice -n 2 '/Library/Application Support/ETVComskip/MarkCommercials.app/Contents/MacOS/MarkCommercials' --log " & recordingID & " &> /dev/null &"
-- do shell script cmd
Then in RecordingDone copy those two lines (uncommented) to the start of the RecordingDone handler:

Code: Select all

on RecordingDone(recordingID)
	set cmd to "/usr/bin/nice -n 2 '/Library/Application Support/ETVComskip/MarkCommercials.app/Contents/MacOS/MarkCommercials' --log " & recordingID & " &> /dev/null &"
	do shell script cmd

set LogMsg to ""
	CheckMultiplePIDs(recordingID)
…
Save the scripts and test a recording.

Note: I have modified my scripts in a number of ways, including the above. I did not go back to the default scripts to test these instruction. Please let me know if I missed something.

Cheers