Unicode trouble

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
Jagad

Unicode trouble

Post by Jagad »

Hi Erik!

I have a script which feeds comskip with .ts files. I lately added unicode stars into the filename for my recorded movies in order to have the rating of the movie easy visible. Feeding comskip with these files with stars in the name fails miserably. Comskip doesnt seem to support unicode characters/symbols. It just opens and then closes down in a split second.
Do you have any ideas to make it work?

Filename example:
20120204_21-29-01_Kanal 5_Music and lyrics - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆.ts

Regards
Jagad
erik
Site Admin

Re: Unicode trouble

Post by erik »

Comskip does not handle unicode in file names.
LastButNotLeast

Post by LastButNotLeast »

Jagad wrote:Do you have any ideas to make it work?
Use a standard symbol instead of the stars.
Though they are pretty.
:wink:
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

LastButNotLeast wrote: Use a standard symbol instead of the stars.
Though they are pretty.
:wink:
Well, the stars are automatically generated by the recording system (DVBViewer Recording Service) and the file is passed to Comskip via an after recording task script. Everything is automated and i guess i could whip up a solution through the script, but....
erik wrote:Comskip does not handle unicode in file names.

...the reason for posting this in here was to find out if there are plans on making Comskip handle unicode file names down the road. I guess most software out there worth having has migrated to unicode already, so why not the great Comskip?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Will tell you why.

1: No live TV processing yet.
2: Time line processing still is having some problems.
3: Need to update the documentation as many of the new features are not even documented.
4: Need to write a new tuning guide as there are so many possibilities that most people not following the discussions in the forum will fail to understand how to use them.
5: Many users asking for support.
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

Wasnt my intention to question your priorities. I understand these points are the most important ones. Just wanted to know if unicode migration was on the to do list. Well, I guess that will reveal itself in time.

Regards
Jagad
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

Wondering where you are in the development roadmap regarding adding support for unicode filenames? I suppose the easiest way to go would be to implement unicode only for file handling. That would solve the major part of our troubles and making convertion of the whole Comskip to unicode unnecessary (which could be a greatly timeconsuming project). Perhaps you could consider it again sometimes in the near future :?:

BTW, thanks for this great piece of software :)
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Could you upload two short (say 50 MByte) recordings with unicode file names?
If yes, I will PM you with upload details.
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

erik wrote:Could you upload two short (say 50 MByte) recordings with unicode file names?
If yes, I will PM you with upload details.
Oh YES oh yes...I will be more than happy providing some example recordings for you :D