Any Alternative to DTb File Watcher?

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
tzr916

Re: Any Alternative to DTb File Watcher?

Post by tzr916 »

That part does seem to be working properly now. Thanks.

I am trying to set it so that only ONE instance of Comskip is running at a time, but for some reason Dirmon2 is letting two run at the same time. I have Global Resources set to 100 and job resources set to 100. Is that not correct?
Jim1977

Post by Jim1977 »

To answer the original question, there is another option: Directory Monitor.
https://directorymonitor.com/

I found that DirMon2 was OK for running Comskip, but was limited by the fact that it ran under a "system" account. That works for Comskip, but does not allow interaction of the program that is run with the desktop, at least under Windows7. Therefore, I could not use my video editing program, VideoReDo when started by DirMon2, since the GUI was not visible. Directory Monitor runs programs under you normal user account, and has no problems with GUIs interacting with the desktop.

So I now use Directory Monitor to run Comskip on the recorded .ts file, and generate a .VPrj file as the output. And after the .VPrj file is generated, Directory Monitory now starts up VideoReDo automatically with the cut points ready to go or modify as needed. There is an option in Directory Monitor to not start up a subsequent program until the present one is finished. That can be used to allow only one Comskip instance to run at a time, in case multiple shows are recorded at the same time. There is a paid version of Directory Monitor, but the free one does everything I need for now.
LastButNotLeast

Post by LastButNotLeast »

tzr916 wrote:I am trying to set it so that only ONE instance of Comskip is running at a time, but for some reason Dirmon2 is letting two run at the same time. I have Global Resources set to 100 and job resources set to 100. Is that not correct?
As long as they're not working ON THE SAME FILE, I can't imagine that would be a problem, but those are my settings as well.
You may want to make sure you're not calling the program twice.

You may also want to make sure the folder only has one copy of comskip.exe in it.
tzr916

Post by tzr916 »

The picture of your settings look identical to mine.
No it's not working on the same file.
I'm pretty sure it's quite impossible to have more than one comskip.exe in a given folder.

It's only a "problem" because when two are being processed at the same time, it's taking my CPU usage up past 90%. I would rather it only run one at a time.
LastButNotLeast

Post by LastButNotLeast »

So it's running on two separate programs at the same time?
That's odd. Impressive, but odd. :o
You can use the PlayNice option to reduce CPU usage.
For some reason, my "polling time" is 6 hours (21600 seconds). I don't remember why, but that may help your situation.
Michael
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

If you have a multicore CPU it perfectly possible/usefull to run multiple comskip.exe at the same time.
eg: when using live tv processing the cpu load is so low you can run 8 comskip.exe on a 2 core cpu and be almost realtime without noticing the load

Or when you have to re-process a lot of recordings you can run multiple comskip.exe on the same folder (but of course different recordings)

100% cpu is often not a problem, the load on the disk is often more the bottleneck, unless you use a fast ssd