Comskip crashing while processing live recordings

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
btracy

Re: Comskip crashing while processing live recordings

Post by btracy »

Single recordings still crash for me as expected so now to just capture one and the file size (hopefully I can stop the recording quickly as well).

@htpcthor My understanding of the Wait Time parameter was how long to wait after a file stops being updated. The hover over help says, "Amount of time to wait for a file to stop being written to". If it really does wait for x amount of time to start work then that would be excellent. I hadn't found way to make the delay otherwise (but I have not looked all that hard either).
htpcthor

Post by htpcthor »

I think I have found a solution for now. I put a sleep command at the top of the 'Find Commercials In DVRMS' profile and set it for 5 minutes. The last 4 shows have worked correctly.
btracy

Post by btracy »

Nice find. I will set that up after I try to get the size of the file on crash.
joesc1

Post by joesc1 »

I'm still having crashes several times a day, even after I set DirMon to ignore files smaller than 100MB and to wait 5 minutes between runs.
htpcthor

Post by htpcthor »

I haven't had any crashes since I put the 5 minute delay in 3 days ago (18 successful scans). Before that 3 out of 4 would crash. So the delay definitely worked for me.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The 5 minutes will depend on the type of recording.
Example: HD recordings may need less waiting time then SD recordings.
Try 10 minutes
btracy

Post by btracy »

Ok I finally got a chance to sit and watch a crash. It was right around the two minute mark and the size of the file on crash was 283,115,520 bytes. I probably stopped the recording 3 seconds after the crash. I tried running comskip on this same file multiple times but it won't crash (as expected really since it is no longer live tv).

I will implement the 5 minute delay and see how that goes for me.
haggis663

Post by haggis663 »

I am also only getting Comskip frequently (but not always i.e. 75%) crashing while analysing live TV (it works on purely recorded)
The event log has the following error:
Faulting application name: comskip.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
0x4fb8bf71
Faulting module name: comskip.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
0x4fb8bf71
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000dbbf5
Faulting process id: 0xe7c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd5dc538eb38fe Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\DVRMSToolbox\Applications\comskip.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files
(x86)\DVRMSToolbox\Applications\comskip.exe
Report Id: a1c771d4-c9b8-11e1-a1f4-002522bf8d04

The log ends suddenly while scanning:
Output: 0 - start: 1820 end: 2084
start: 1818, end: 2069, len: 10.04s
start: 1818, end: 2069, len: 10s
start: 1818, end: 2069, len: 10.04s
start: 1818, end: 2069, len: 10s
btracy

Post by btracy »

That looks like the same crash as I see. Delaying the start of the scan by 5 minutes or so should prevent it for now.
haggis663

Post by haggis663 »

Delaying by 5 minutes doesn't seem to solve all the crashes for me.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Also set
thread_count=1
in your ini file
haggis663

Post by haggis663 »

With both the startup delay & the thread count, I am still getting occasional crashes.

I have traced this down to only occur if I have multiple recordings occuring at the same time. (If there is only one recording, then comskip seems to be now stable).

I can only assume that having multiple comskips going on at the same time interfere with each other (shared memory?).

I hope this helps.
btracy

Post by btracy »

Although I have multiple recordings going on at once (for example 3 tonight) I have not seen a crash since setting a 5 minute delay and having the thread count at 1. I could previously reproduce a crash with just one recording at a time when starting the scan with no delay. The error is an access violation though and it was easier to reproduce crashes when more than one comskip was running at a time. Have you tried a longer delay (say 10 minutes) just for a sanity check to see if the crashes still occur? If so, your issue sounds a bit different than my own.
Deihmos

Post by Deihmos »

It looks like it also crashes for me. No skips were processed. I don't see anything in the ini about thread_count. I think I am better off disabling live_tv.
btracy

Post by btracy »

The thread_count value has a default of 2 and isn't in the default .ini file so you would have to add it. The crash isn't limited to having the live_tv value set (for me at least). The live_tv value just allows the .xml file to be written during scanning instead of at the very end. In my tests, it crashed with live_tv set to both 0 and 1 if processing starts early in the recording cycle. You may be better off going back to not scanning at all until the recording has stopped or implement a 5 minute delay before start.