Seems to work

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
Nightwalker

Seems to work

Post by Nightwalker »

Erik:

I've gone thru the tuning doc's and done as much as i understood. It seems to work well.

One question, when playing a show that has had comskip run on it in gbpvr i notice sometimes as the commercial begins to play things just skip ahead to the show after the commercial. Very nice and just what i'd like it to do. Other times i notice i need to do the 0+skip to get it to skip commercials.

Is there something i could tune better to get it to just skip thru like it does sometimes now?

Not sure if this question is a comskip or gbpvr question so i started here. At any rate things do seem to work. Congratulations on a very fine utility program.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Thanks for the compliment!

Not quite sure, possibly that sometimes the start of the commercial is detected somewhat later so you press the skip just before GBPVR thinks the commercial has started.

What you could do is use the debugwindow to check if for such a show the commercial is detected at the right locations.

I do not use GBPVR for playback, I use a separate networked media player that can not fast forward, that explains my interrest for a good commercial detection in combination with comclean.
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

I know this is going to sound silly but do i just run comskip again on a tv show that was done correctly? is there a way to run the debug window on a file that's already been done?

I'm in way uncharted territory here. I could use just a bit of a nudge in the right direction. :-)
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

There is no way today to use comskip as a pure viewer using an mpeg and the resulting .txt file. its on my todo list.

So there are two ways to do this.

1) Just rerun comskip with the -w switch on an already processed show.
It will take some time but its fun because you can see what comskip is doing. It will also recreate the .txt file, no harm here.

2) When you plan to rerun comskip multiple times on the same show the time waiting for the complete processing of the mpeg file can take too much time.
Therefore you can enable output_framearray=1 in the comskip.ini.
This will create a .csv file with the same name as the mpeg.
Then you run comskip with the -w switch on the .csv file. This will read the .csv file and start the debugwindow. This is MUCH faster because the mpeg decoding does not have to be done over and over on the .csv file.

So, if you don't know what to do go for option 1)

Howtorun comskip with the -w switch?

Create a desktop shortcut to comskip.exe
right click on the icon, open properties.
add -w to the line in the target box, example:
C:\Temp\x\comskip.exe -w
Click OK
Now drag and drop the file you want to run in the debugwindow on the comskip desktop icon.
Do read the the debugwindow.rtf before starting otherwise you miss the fun :D
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

Gotcha, on my way to read a bit more and try it out. thanks!
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

Erik:

Been reading till i think i understand less than i did to start with :)

I have a question about the post processing bat. In the one you posted that allows it to skip designated channels. is there somewhere in the logs that i can find out what that channel is passed as, ex is it channel 5 or channel 05 or 005? there are some channels i don't need to run comskip on, so far I've not gotten it to work.

Still reading thru all the info i can get my hands on. ver 077 seems to be right on when i watch it thru the graphical window but misses a bit yet in practice. Hoping to learn enough to at least ask a semi intelligent question or two soon :)
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Don't wait asking questions!
Sometimes there are stupid errors in my additions to comskip so you simply will not be able to understand why something happens (even I may have problems)

Because the channel number is not passed to comskip I can not add it to the log, however....
If you add near start of the postprocessing.bat a line that says
echo Comskip running on %1 recorded from channel %2 >>channel.log
Then you can look at channel.log in the gbpvr directory to how postprocessing.bat has been started.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Your wish has been granted. It is now possible to use comskip as a viewer for the .txt file.

After comskip has been run on certain file grab and drop the output .txt file on the comskip.exe in the gbpvr home directory and comskip will start with the debugwindow allowing you to review the output.

And yes, the next logical question to ask is if it is possible to change the cutpoints and to write a new .txt file.
The answer is : not yet.
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

erik wrote:Because the channel number is not passed to comskip I can not add it to the log, however....
If you add near start of the postprocessing.bat a line that says
echo Comskip running on %1 recorded from channel %2 >>channel.log
Then you can look at channel.log in the gbpvr directory to how postprocessing.bat has been started.
Your tip about the postprocessing bat file worked like a charm, now i can see how the channels are passed. Unfortunatly it's still running comskip on the channels i've set in that section. While this isn't really a big deal now, it might be later as i get better at tuning for different channels. It is making the channel log file just fine, but i'm guessing the post processing batch file is not seeing it with the %2% and just going to the EOF. My post processing bat is pretty much the one you've posted and i inserted my channel numbers instead of the example ones to skip. While i'm not a programmer batch files are pretty simple and i don't see any reason why it wouldn't skip the defined channels

As a side note, i really hope this separate board for comskip takes off, it could be a real boon to getting it all working correctly and then fine tuning as we go and learn more.
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

Erik:

Any thoughts on my post above? Still trying to get comskip to skip certain channels for processing and then i can move on to separate ini files for other channels.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I made a typo in the postprocesing.bat

The %2 in the if line should be enclosed with double quotes such as

if "%2" == "27" goto eof:
if "%2" == "36" goto eof:

and also

if "%2" == "79" goto channel79:
if "%2" == "72" goto channel72:
Nightwalker

Post by Nightwalker »

Thanks erik, off to change that, i completely missed the quotes.