Multiple files created

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
Ken62465

Multiple files created

Post by Ken62465 »

I'm a newb using DVRMSToolbox and Comskip. Using WMC 7.

I have things working well for commercial skipping, scan accuracey less than desired but working on it. I could not help but notice the wealth of files I'm getting in both the "Recorded TV" folder and the \Public\DvrmsToolbox\CommercialsXml folder. Under WMC 7 the commercial skipping seems to be xml file dependent I believe but I have the following files extensions being created in these folders

Recorded TV
----------------
.edl
.log
.txt
.vprj
.wtv.chapters.xml
.xml

\Public\DvrmsToolbox\CommercialsXml
---------------------------
.edl
.txt
.vih
.xml

This seems right to have all these various file extensions? I did start out using ShowAnalyzer that created less files but now giving Comskip a test to compare accuracy. Not sure this is unusual or not but had multiple recording not work well at all with Comskip and tried to determine the culprit. When I disable logo detection the problem went away. I think it might be because the clock was off on my HTPC and recording were starting about 3-10 seconds into the show start and logo was instantly available. The commercial skip would scene cut 10 seconds into the recording until I disabled the logo detection on these recordings. Not tested it yet on a recording once I noticed, and fixed, the stupid clock that was off messing up my recording start times. ShowAnalyzer didn't have that problem though.

Sorry I got a bit carried away on another issue. File extension is my priority for now until i can invest more time into learning/testing.
erik
Site Admin

Re: Multiple files created

Post by erik »

you can disable all these output file by changing your comskip.ini

set verbose to 0
set
output_default=0
to remove the.txt file.

Do you know what other output files you need?
Ken62465

Post by Ken62465 »

Only thing being used thus far is commercial skipping on the HTPC itself so at this time I do not believe I need any others. Thanks for those tips on the comskip.ini entries....I'll dial them in.

output_edl=1

do I need edl files? No idea what uses them. Also do I really need to have duplicate files in two different folders?

Onto the second part of my issues. Do you know if it would be a known problem if your recording started a bit late, say only a couple seconds into the show, that after maybe 10 seconds it creates a false commercial break. Strange thing is the break point it chooses still has the exact same logo on screen but is a split second after dialog stops, just background sound effects. It cuts right after they stop talking. I'm wondering if it's because the moment the show/video starts there's logo on screen? Getting other false commercial breaks also but tackling one at a time. Is it a bad idea to disable logo detection? I'm currently using a detection setting of 45...was 47 but the removal of logo detection is now 2 less. Seems to have cured the shows that started late recordings.

I had 4 recordings Sunday night and not one had a detected commercial. I solved that one as it seems due to Hurricane Sandy all shows had a ticker on bottom of screen that stayed from start to end even through commercial breaks. This caused the scan to not detect a scene change, maybe logo interpretation because it was much higher on screen than normal? To test my theory I added this from some reading I did.

ticker_tape_percentage=40

I then used the GUI to test that the ticker was ignored/cropped out...it was so 40 worked. I then had commercial breaks, although not perfect and need to work on other setting to see what's what.
Roginator

Post by Roginator »

I had the same problem for the longest time. The solution was so simple I couldn't see it. I don't think anyone else has pointed it out. Some suggested creating a .bat file.

In the DVRMSToolboxSettings (1.2.2.5), under the File Watcher tab, where it lists Watched Directories, just list all the directories which have leftover files.

When I had Comskip set to liveTV and I had all the files going to E:\Recorded TV, I was getting horrible disk thrashing, so I moved the cut commercials files to C:\Commercials. Then I noticed there were also lots of little files in C:\Users\Public\DvrmsToolbox and C:\Users\Public\DvrmsToolbox\FWLogs.

So I just placed the following in the Watched Directories window:
E:\Recorded TV\
C:\Commercials\
C:\Users\Public\DvrmsToolbox
C:\Users\Public\DvrmsToolbox\FWLogs

Seems to work fine.

Comskip is great! The basic comskip.ini file does a very good job on my TV recordings. I would hate to have to go back to watching the endless commercials on some channels. I even share shows to a small netbook wirelessly and managed to get Comskip to work on that - thanks to others here.