10 minute delay - Can it be turned off?

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
marvin-miller

10 minute delay - Can it be turned off?

Post by marvin-miller »

Hi Folks;

I've noticed there seems to be a 10 minute delay before comskip starts processing my .wtv files. I never had an issue with this before and I'd like to turn it off as it's wasting 10 minutes per show. It seems to have been introduced in this release;

Changes on 0.81.045
- Increased the waiting time for WTV files to 10 minutes for live TV processing to reduce the risk for crashing

How can I turn this 'feature' off ? I don't think it's even required as the '10 minute issue' is one that used to arise with DVRMS-Tooolbox and the proper way to address it is within DVRMS-Toolbox. That delay can easily be set there.

I no longer use DVRMS-Toolbox, I changed that out for VAP some time ago. Hence, the 10 minute delay is a huge time waster for me.
erik
Site Admin

Re: 10 minute delay - Can it be turned off?

Post by erik »

Now available as user setting.
Changes on 0.81.049
- Added settings for live tv processing. The default settings should work for NPVR .ts recording and MCE .wtv recording (see comskip.txt) . You MUST set standoff_size > 0 otherwise the defaults will be used.
standoff_retries = times to retry if the file has grown during recording while sleeping one second between tries
standoff_time = time in seconds to wait after last file modification when proceesing during recording
standoff_size = size in kByte to stay away from the end of the file when processing during recording
standoff_initial_size = time in seconds to wait for after file creation time before starting processing
standoff_initial_wait = size of file in kByte to wait for before starting processing
Kragger

Post by Kragger »

These changes have made live output functional in EyeTV again under .81.

I'm still tweaking around with the values, though at this point the only oddity I see is that for some reason it seems on the first commercial it finds to start skipping it goes back to the beginning of the recording and re-processes.

Thanks for your continued work!
marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller »

erik wrote:Now available as user setting.
Changes on 0.81.049
- Added settings for live tv processing. The default settings should work for NPVR .ts recording and MCE .wtv recording (see comskip.txt) . You MUST set standoff_size > 0 otherwise the defaults will be used.
standoff_retries = times to retry if the file has grown during recording while sleeping one second between tries
standoff_time = time in seconds to wait after last file modification when proceesing during recording
standoff_size = size in kByte to stay away from the end of the file when processing during recording
standoff_initial_size = time in seconds to wait for after file creation time before starting processing
standoff_initial_wait = size of file in kByte to wait for before starting processing
I'm still seeing a delay. I haven't set any of the variables above as it seems to indicate that that default settings should work...?

Or, do I have to set one of the variables above to get rid of the 10 minute delay?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Yes

You need to set standoff_size to a non zero value to enable the user settings and then standoff_initial_wait to the amount of seconds for the initial wait and standoff_time to the amount to wait till completion.
marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller »

OK, so before this feature was added, how long did comskip wait? I never had an issue with it so those values should be fine.
marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller »

erik wrote:Yes

You need to set standoff_size to a non zero value to enable the user settings and then standoff_initial_wait to the amount of seconds for the initial wait and standoff_time to the amount to wait till completion.
With these settings;

standoff_size =1 ; size in kByte to stay away from the end of the file when processing during recording
standoff_initial_wait =5 ; size of file in kByte to wait for before starting processing

I'm still seeing a comskip-induced wait time of 10 minutes...

Woops...think I missed this one;
standoff_time =0 ; time in seconds to wait after last file modification when proceesing during recording

Success! After re-starting my application (VAP) comskip processing started immediately - thanks eric!
spaceboy

Post by spaceboy »

so i'm still having trouble getting this to work. i have the following lines in my comskip.ini file:

standoff_size=1
standoff_initial_wait=1
standoff_time=0

so i'd expect comskip to start 1 second after the recording starts and process the recording continually until it completes. but it continues to wait until 10 mins in. what am i doing wrong? thanks