Comskip.exe under Wine in Ubuntu Linux (12.04) Wine

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
Outbreak Monkey

Comskip.exe under Wine in Ubuntu Linux (12.04) Wine

Post by Outbreak Monkey »

Hi, I know what I'm doing is NOT supported, and I realise this is 100% not any issue with Comskip.
i.e. This isn't a bug with Comskip, just a request for help just incase one of you guys also a linux guru! :)

I had Comskip.exe running well under Ubuntu Linux 10.10, but since installing 12.04 on a new machine, Comskip.exe doesn't want to start.

I love Comskip! The detection accuracy is awesome, the speed is fantastic, and the ability to tune it is graet..

So, if anyone has ANY experience with this in 12.04, your assistance would be HUGELY appreciated.

PS. Yes, I am posting this to the Wine support forums too.

Cheers,
ObM..
flyingout

Re: Comskip.exe under Wine in Ubuntu Linux (12.04) Wine

Post by flyingout »

I'm no Linux guru, but I do rely on Comskip using Wine on OS X and happen to have a couple Linux virtual machines with Wine installed, one of which I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04. I'd be willing to pitch in and at least attempt to duplicate the problems you are seeing.

Any specifics about how you have Comskip installed and the commands/scripts/apps you use to launch it would help get me started.

Cheers
flyingout

Post by flyingout »

Comskip worked for me in Ubuntu 12.04.

In both of my tests I was using comskip81_051_donators with the default ini file except for setting live_tv=1 so that I could see if I was getting results without finishing a file.

To have a better chance to see that it could work, I first tested with Debian (stable). It's got an old 1.1 version of Wine there, but it worked fine.

Then I ran the same test in Ubuntu 12.04, which has Wine 1.4 and it ran and produced virtually identical results, finding three spots near the beginning of the recording (not the same, btw, as was marked last night on the OS X side, but that's probably due to different ini settings).

In both cases I simply copied the Comskip folder to ~ and ran:

Code: Select all

wine comskip/comskip.exe share/00000000168c303c.mpg
Possible differences: Wine version, recording type (mine is mpeg2), ini customization, other?

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Outbreak Monkey

Post by Outbreak Monkey »

Hey, thanks the replies and for the efforts!

I tried it again. It looks like I have some funky permissions. It runs fine as the root user, but borks if I run it as my own user.

Anyway, knowing that it's possible is great, means I can keep looking!

Thanks for the help.. I'll dig in to it..

Cheers,
ObM..