XBMC Support

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
ptaylor

XBMC Support

Post by ptaylor »

I've recently started trying to watch files recorded by SageTV on an XBMC box. XBMC sees the .edl files generated by comskip (integrated with SageTV) and acts on them. Here's an example edl file:

Code: Select all

0.00	33.12	0
147.80	193.34	0
1588.64	1798.55	0
For items marked with 0, XBMC sees as Cut actions. The behavior essentially Cuts the commercials out completely during playback. This is different from a "skip" behavior that I normally see in SageTV. In XBMC, the duration of the show is listed as if the commercials had been cut out of the file by a third party tool. So, a 30 minute show comes up as if it's about 22 minutes long. If XBMC skips some actual content and you want to go back to see what you missed, there is no way to rewind to view it. Rewinding will go back to prior to the skip. It behaves like the commercials just don't exist, basically.

If I manually change all the 0's in the EDL file to 3's, XBMCs playback behavior changes.

Code: Select all

0.00	33.12	3
147.80	193.34	3
1588.64	1798.55	3
In this case, the full video file is visible, but XBMC will skip the marked commercials the first time it attempts to play them. If, after commercials are skipped, you skip back through the recording (into a commercial area), you can then watch the video that was marked as a commercial.

Is there any chance that an option already exists to do this? I couldn't find anything in the .ini file, but could have missed something.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
ptaylor

Re: XBMC Support

Post by ptaylor »

Over 50 views and no replies?

Am I the only one who uses XBMC?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Should not be a problem to implement.
Will try to include in next build
ptaylor

Post by ptaylor »

Thanks - Looking forward to it!
ptaylor

Post by ptaylor »

I see a new version is out today (051). Did this feature request make it into this version? I didn't see it mentioned in the changelog.

Thanks,
Paul
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

No, next build, timeline problem was urgent
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Build 52 released.

Changes on 0.81.052
- Parameter added: edl_skip_field, sets the skip indicator in an EDL file. Default value is '0'. Set to edl_skip_field=3 to have better skipping on XBMC

So you only need to add
edl_skip_field=3
to your comskip.ini to have the required output.

Can you test?