Descriptive Audio (SAP) on Ncis and Csi

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
kenb2013

Descriptive Audio (SAP) on Ncis and Csi

Post by kenb2013 »

I am using DvrmsToolbox with Comskip to cut out all commercials and create a new file. I've been using it for years on my MCE2005 machine and my newer Win7 machine. On the Win7 machine something that Comskip is doing is allowing HD recordings of Ncis and Csi which have been converted from WTV to dvrms to have Descriptive Audio (SAP) overlaying the normal audio track. Is there a value that can be added to the Comskip.ini which equals no SAP? All other commercial skip functions are working properly, this is the only issue. Do you have a fix to turn off SAP?

Thanks
erik
Site Admin

Re: Descriptive Audio (SAP) on Ncis and Csi

Post by erik »

I don't understand your question.
Please provide some more information
kenb2013

Post by kenb2013 »

SAP stands for Secondary Audio Programing. Some stations like CBS are adding it to some programs but not all. Ncis and Csi are two of the programs it has been added to. On playback of these programs there is a descriptive naration that overlays the original audio track. It is for the visually impaired. Win7 records WTV format which I use WTVWatcher to automatically convert it to Dvrms. I then use DvrmsToolbox with Comskip to cut out the commercials. The original WTV file DOES NOT have the SAP track, there is no narration. It is only after the tooling that the SAP appears. So it has to be either Comskip or DvrmsToolbox that is allowing the SAP track to be added to the NEW recorded Dvrms file.

I've read that some other commercial skip programs are adding a "no_sap" command to their logic. Let me know if I am still unclear...
bmblank

Post by bmblank »

I've also had this problem with "the new Yankee workshop" on pbs. It doesn't seem to be happening anymore and i don't know why, but i can confirm the problem.
"a man carrying a large toolbox crosses a busy street... A golden retriever in a field gets up and follows the man through the woods to a barn. Above the for is a sign..."
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Can someone upload a recording with SAP to my ftp server so I can test?
kenb2013

Post by kenb2013 »

Sure, do you want a 4gb file?
kenb2013

Post by kenb2013 »

How do I upload a file to your ftp server?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Thanks for the file.
It is detected that the first audio stream is SAP.
This would normally not be selected for Comskip but the other audio streams fails to be decoded.
Should I force Comskip NEVER to select a SAP?
kenb2013

Post by kenb2013 »

My thought would be that "no sap" should be the default and if you want to make it optional add a value to your ini. That's my 2 cents.
kenb2013

Post by kenb2013 »

Hey Erik

I saw comskip 0.81.053 today. It says in the readme.txt "- Improved decoding of some types of audio". Is this the fix to turn off the SAP? I have comskip 80_042 and DvrmsToolbox. How will this new version change the way comskip has been working? Other than the SAP issue, no other changes are necessary. Everything else is working just fine. Thanks for a great job.
aswede

Post by aswede »

Erik, I am having the same issue described by previous posters, i.e. the SAP channel sometimes being the one that I can hear after processing my .ts file with Comskip. I have been using Comskip81_50_donators. I saw that you recently released build 53; however, I cannot find it on your site, the latest build I can download is 52.

In build 53 did you address the issue with the SAP channel? If so, where can I find it?

BTW - thanks for a great program. It does wonders!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I'm a bit confused.
How do you "process" the TS file?
What information do you use to select the audio channel?
aswede

Post by aswede »

I use VideoRedo to take the original TS file, cut out the ads with comskip and convert the file to mkv or avi format. Sometimes I find that while the original ts file can be replayed fine, after running the same file through VideoReDo the SAP channel sound (the supplemental audio channel for visually impaired) is what I hear, not just the standard audio.

Earlier in this same topic other people described similar issues after running comskip on their video file, and in a earlier post in this topic you mentioned that when you had tested this user's file you found:

It is detected that the first audio stream is SAP.
This would normally not be selected for Comskip but the other audio streams fails to be decoded.
Should I force Comskip NEVER to select a SAP?

I do not select any audio channel, I just use comskip as is. I agree with a previous poster who suggested:

My thought would be that "no sap" should be the default and if you want to make it optional add a value to your ini.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Happy with this clear description of the problem.
Will see what I can do
aswede

Post by aswede »

It is interesting that I do not find this problem consistently from one channel, one tv program or one recording device. I have 3 different cards for recording over the air TV, and also a HD PVR connected via USB.