Multiple Threads with AMD and DVR-MS?

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
McAlsop

Multiple Threads with AMD and DVR-MS?

Post by McAlsop »

I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm trying to multi-thread with something that's not compatible.

I've set verbose=10 in the ini and checked the log file and it shows that thread_count=4 is coming through. (I'm running donators 081.052)

I actually have a six-core AMD Phenom II.

I'm running Windows 7 and record from Windows Media Center. The output is a WTV file (from NBC, CBS, etc) which I convert to DVR-MS using the Windows built-in converter. I then run that DVR-MS file through comskip.

It shows in the log that thread_count=4 (I've also tried thread_count=6), but task manager always shows processor utilization at 17% = 1/6.

Is my DVR-MS file maybe not compatible? Or is it the AMD processor? I'm not very worried about it because it only takes like 5-10m to process an hour show. But if I'm just missing something, I might as well try to fix it....

Thanks for any insight!

-Michael
erik
Site Admin

Re: Multiple Threads with AMD and DVR-MS?

Post by erik »

There are certain conditions when the multi threaded decoding is disabled automatically. Inparticular when there are resolution changes during the recording. Example is a commercial block in SD in between HD broadcast.
Best is to vary the thread_count and see if it makes a difference. If not, the multi-threaded decoding is for some reason disabled.