Not enough memory?

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
roy

Not enough memory?

Post by roy »

Comskip works great for me on most recordings, however, it quits on recordings that are more than 150 minutes or so. Running during a recording (w/ GBPVR) or from command line does the same thing.

Is this due to running out of memory? System has 512MB. Is there anything I can adjust to get it to run longer?

Thanks
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

This is strange, I run comskip on a (W2K) system with 256MByte of memory on recordings up to 2.5 hours.
512MByte should normally be enough unless your paging file is too small.
Can you monitor memory and paging file usage during running?

One thing that influences memory usage and memory fragmentation is live_tv
Is live_tv on in your case? If yes, try to disable it.
roy

Post by roy »

I don't think live tv is on. It does this even when gbpvr is not running and I drop a 3 hour mpeg on comskip to try and get a complete run through.

I have monitored memory and page file usage during the run, but don't see it hitting max.

When it quits, a message flashes that there is not enough memory. Tonight I will try to run it in a command window to capture the complete error message. Is there any other info you could use?
roy

Post by roy »

I do have live_tv=1, and the log file quits with "Insufficient memory to manage live_tv commercials". I have gbpvr configured to run comskip during recording. If I turn off live_tv, will this disable commercial detection when watching a recording in progress?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Yes,

I can have a look on how to reduce the memory requirements during live_tv.
It will take some days.
roy

Post by roy »

That would be great, thanks for your attention. No rush though.

Is the higher memory usage due to comskip continually updating the .txt file in real time for live_tv, as opposed to just writing it at completion of the recording?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Indeed, but the real problem is the way this is implemented leading to hughe memory fragmentation so I know what to change.
roy

Post by roy »

I'm using 79.46, and now during live tv, the .txt file stops getting written properly after about 30 minutes. It will either be blank or have just one cut point, so no commercials are detected while watching. File gets written properly after completion of the recording.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I do not see this behaviour.
Could you mail me a .csv file and your comskip.ini file?
roy

Post by roy »

Yes, will try to get it to you tonite.
-----------------
Have sent email.

Thanks
roy

Post by roy »

Sent an email with files. Did you receive it?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

yes, but rather busy at the moment.