Windows 8 and DTBAddin and DVRMSToolbox

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
TMan459

Windows 8 and DTBAddin and DVRMSToolbox

Post by TMan459 »

So. Just moved to Windows 8 not too long ago. I used to have ShowAnalyzer with WMC7 running just fine, although some shows it didn't process well.

Now Comskip is being actively developed and my research told me to grab the latest versions of Comskip, DTBAddin and DVRMSToolbox by donating to give me the best possible Windows 8 support.

Now, if I was to run a command line telling the latest Comskip donator version to process a finished WTV file, it will process it great, spit out the files DVRMSToolbox needs to automatically skip commercials, and skip fine in Windows 8 Media Center (although recordings with a "sports ticker" on the bottom (ESPN) don't quite detect 100%, but that's another topic).

If I do not have a WTV file processed, WMC will prompt me to scan it for commercials. This is the problem I'm running into, as telling WMC to scan for commercials doesn't do anything. Comskip doesn't scan, nothing happens.

So I guess I'm basically looking for a quick tutorial to set all this up properly for a Windows 8 machine. If any of this doesn't pertain to this forum I'll be more than happy to direct this to the babgvant forums.

I'm hoping this thread can turn into the definitive thread for getting Comskip, DVRMSToolbox and the DTBAddin working with Windows 8 Media Center.

Thanks all and great work!

EDIT: I wrote the text above very quickly and now that I have some time I feel I need to elaborate on what's written above.

My software revisions are as follows:

Comskip 0.81.052
DVRMSToolbox 1.2.2.6 R6
DTBAddin 1.0.0.8 R6

My process was:

Install DVRMSToolbox (Chose to use the file watcher as a service), then DTBAddin. Reboot. Copy contents of Comskip to "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVRMSToolbox\Applications\".

Change comskip.ini. I changed "output_dvrmstb=1" and "live_tv=1".

After that process there isn't much left to do. The only setting I changed in DVRMSToolbox was "Automatic Cleanup" under the File Watcher tab.

I mentioned above that using DTBAddin's popup to scan commercials doesn't work from WMC. I will say that directory watching is working properly, so this WMC popup to scan for commercials if no skip data is found is no big deal, but I'd like it to work.

So, to summarize. The DTBAddin prompt in WMC to scan for commercials if none are found does not work. That is the only problem I'm having.

Thanks again!

FINAL EDIT: I've gotten everything set up wonderfully after digging around. You can disregard my question. This final edit is to either ask to have this thread removed, or if anyone would like I can write up a guide to show the steps I took to get things working.
yobbo001

Re: Windows 8 and DTBAddin and DVRMSToolbox

Post by yobbo001 »

Hi TMan459,

I'm having exactly the same trouble and you described, could you please post the guide on how you got it all working, it would be muchly appreciated.

Regards,