Newbie - Commercials not removed

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
at09

Newbie - Commercials not removed

Post by at09 »

Hi,

I run comskip.exe by drag and dropping .ts file into it.

It seems to find the commercials and generated .txt file.

However the .ts file is not replaced with the one without the commercials. What am I doing wrong?
Jagad

Re: Newbie - Commercials not removed

Post by Jagad »

What you see is what you get. Don't know where you got Comskip being a videoeditor from? It's not and will never be. If you wanna edit out the commercials Videoredo is an editor many uses. Mostly it's not necessary to edit the files at all. Just get a player which can read the Comskip output. Such as XBMC or Zoomplayer or what not.
at09

Post by at09 »

Jagad wrote:Just get a player which can read the Comskip output. Such as XBMC or Zoomplayer or what not.
Is there a list of all the players that can read the files? I googled and couldn't find many.
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

Well, the closest to list you can find is if opening comskip.ini and check out all the output_ formats available. Besides that many different HTPC software systems are adding .edl support for their player.
LastButNotLeast

Post by LastButNotLeast »

Some more information on your system might be helpful. What are you using to watch TV files now?
bmblank

Post by bmblank »

Somebody should probably mention to at09 that comskip does not actually remove the commercials. Comskip scans and creates a commercials file of a format specified in the commercials.ini file. In the case of windows media center it is usually a .xml file for DVRMS Toolbox to read (hence the DVRMSTB Output= in the ini file). As far as a .ts file goes, it sounds like you're using something other than WMC, so the method of skipping commercials will be different than mine, but regardless, you will need something that both plays the original file and reads the commercials file (wmc, zoomplayer, sage, etc.). The commercials will still be in the file, the player just knows to skip forward at X point to Y point, etc. Or, another method involves a video editing program that also reads the commercials file. In that case the program will completely remove the commercials between X and Y, as called out by the commercials file, creating a new video file that any standard player can play.
As asked before, a little information about exactly what player, what file type, what system you're using and somebody on here will know what to do to make it work.
at09

Post by at09 »

Thanks guys we are getting there. I downloaded zoom player.

I use comskip to create .cut file. How do I use it in zoom player?

I try loading both the video file and the .cut file into zoom player and I get:

Unable to play [filename.cut]
This may be due to a corrupt file, missing filters, filter conflicts, or hardware related issues.
LastButNotLeast

Hopefully, someone here who actually uses Zoom might be able to chime in (I tried to look at it on the Inmatrix site, but the server is down :( ).
Comskip will generate the files you need with:
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=1
output_zoomplayer_chapter=1
You don't PLAY those files, you just put them in the same folder as the video file that you do play; the player should find them automatically (which is the whole point :wink: ).
First, make sure you can play the file without the comskip data. And next time drop the file on comskipGUI instead of exe; lots more fun. :D
at09

Post by at09 »

LastButNotLeast wrote:Hopefully, someone here who actually uses Zoom might be able to chime in (I tried to look at it on the Inmatrix site, but the server is down :( ).
Comskip will generate the files you need with:
output_zoomplayer_cutlist=1
output_zoomplayer_chapter=1
You don't PLAY those files, you just put them in the same folder as the video file that you do play; the player should find them automatically (which is the whole point :wink: ).
First, make sure you can play the file without the comskip data. And next time drop the file on comskipGUI instead of exe; lots more fun. :D
I have do that. Still does not work. cut and chp files are generated. ZP just plays the show normally, without skipping the ads.
Jagad

Post by Jagad »

if using zoomplayer free it wont work. works with zoomplayer max though.
LastButNotLeast

Apparently, it requires the "Scene cut interface":
"Similar to the Chapter Editor, a file is kept for every DVD and Media with a ".cut" file extension. If a "cut" file exists when Zoom Player replays content, the edit values are applied to the newly loaded Media or DVD"
which, unfortunately, is indeed only available in the Max version:
http://inmatrix.com/zplayer/pro/versions_home8.shtml
$30, but at least you can download a trial version.
Have you been using anything before this?
at09

Post by at09 »

Yeah I use media portal. It work fine. I was hopping to find a normal free video player that does the trick. It would simplify things.
LastButNotLeast

Okay. Here you go:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDI ... ipping_Ads
(that's supposed to be a link; copy and paste in your browser)