OS X Mountain Lion & EyeTV

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
AMG

OS X Mountain Lion & EyeTV

Post by AMG »

So I have been using EyeTV with Comskip beautifully for about a year and half. I recently installed Mountain Lion (upgraded from 10.7.5) and since then, Comskip no longer is working. I've tried deleting and reinstalling Comskip but that didn't work. Comskipper is still showing up in my Login Items menu under System Preferences - Users & Groups.

How can I get comskip to work again with EyeTV under Mountain Lion? Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew
erik
Site Admin

Re: OS X Mountain Lion & EyeTV

Post by erik »

Can you try if comskip will run under wine?

wine comskip recording.xt
AMG

Post by AMG »

I should probably be more clear. The way it was set up before, comskp would always be running. It would automatically be marking all recordings, so when I went to edit them in the EyeTV Recordings list, the markers were already there. It was quite some time ago I installed everything, and I don't remember having to run anything from Terminal or Wine to get the auto marking to become the default setting...but maybe I did.

I've been reading thru the readme about running scripts in Terminal. While when I enter the commands into terminal it seems to be doing something, but the recordings still aren't marked.

Is there just some command I have to reenter into Terminal or Wine to get comskip to work automatically again?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, the Terminal and Wine stuff is above my pay grade.

Thanks,

Andrew
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Any info I know can be found here
https://code.google.com/p/etv-comskip/
AMG

ComSkipper (Not Responding)

Post by AMG »

After looking in Activity Monitor, I've found that ComSkipper is constantly listed under the CPU tab as (Not Responding).
I've uninstalled and reinstalled both EyeTV and ComSkipper but to no avail; always not responding. I've ended the process and restarted it, but usually within 30 minutes or less it goes back to not responding.

Any thoughts out there?
Kragger

Post by Kragger »

The ComSkipper program is something that sleeps for a second and then checks with eyeTV to see if it is showing something inside a defined cut section and then skips to the end of that cut section if so. It doesn't actually have anything to do with the commercial detection/marking process.

When the package is installed it is placed in /Library/Application Support/ETVComskip

To have the script properly run, you must have an applescript set up to run when a show starts to record, this is done by having a RecordingStarted script placed in /Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Scripts/TriggeredScripts . These are the first two locations I would check.

In addition, Apple stopped direct support and installation of the X11 software in Mountain Lion. You may need to acquire xQuartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/) an open source, and apple recommended version of X11 for Mountain Lion.

Check to see that you have the ETVComskip directory, it seems you should since Comskip is running.

Check to see that you have a RecordingStarted script.

Check that you have xQuartz installed.

You may want to try running the installer again for EyeTVComskip, other things may have been moved/removed during your upgrade.
Blark

Post by Blark »

Did you re-install X11? AFAIK, ETVComskip needs this in order to work...