Limiting time when ComSkip can run

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
ijourneaux

Limiting time when ComSkip can run

Post by ijourneaux »

I have been using Comskip for ever with DVRMSToolkit on my WMC computer. I have bumped into a an issuw where I would like to limit when comskip runs to the overnight hours when nothing else is using the PC.

Is there a way to accomplish this?
ijourneaux

Re: Limiting time when ComSkip can run

Post by ijourneaux »

Here are some additional details. I use WMC with 5 tuners. I have Comskip to run with only one worker but if all 5 tuners are recording, Comskip can cause stuttering playback. Not serious but noticable

I have started using ServerWMC and XBMC to watch recordings and LiveTV from WMC. This can result in serious playback issues when comskip starts up even when there is only one or two recordings being made (one playing live from XBMC via serverWMC and WMC) and one recording being made by WMC.

It doesn't seem to be a CPU limitation as I am only at 50% CPU load when comskip is running. It could be a IO limitation but it is unclear to me why ComSkip would be any more IO intensive than playing back the video to watch it.

Appreciate any thoughts

Take Care
Ian
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Comskip running at full speed can sature the full io bandwith of a disk or a network drive
Consider using playnice
ijourneaux

Post by ijourneaux »

Thanks Erik. When I downloaded the new version a week or so ago, I noticed the new playnice parameters but I did nto set the times when playnice was going to be active.

I will see what happens with the new settings.

Thanks again.