WMC and comskip, latest consensus?

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
waylo

WMC and comskip, latest consensus?

Post by waylo »

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the forums and other internet resources trying to find consistent answers to my questions. I'm running WMC7 x64.

I'm testing the waters for converting from SageTV to WMC due to the inconsistent ability to record with a HDHR Prime and SageDTV.

What I'm running now:
Latest donator's comskip 81.063 (though I've read reports of more consistent results with .054 or .061).
DVRMSToolbox 1227-r1 - early access version, latest I could find on that website
DTBAddin1009R1 - early access version, latest I could find on that website

So my questions mostly involve getting liveTV detection up and running with WMC:

1. Is there a current consensus now on how long to set the wait time in DVRMStoolbox? I've read 0, 1, and 10. Comskip has not really worked with 0, occasionally 1. Trying 10 as we speak. Basically comskip will output 1 commercial break interval which is usually quite erroneous, and nothing more. I find these lines in the DVRMST log whenever there's a bad .xml created:

2014/07/16 16:40:32.46 : PW Exit System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot write to a closed TextWriter.
at System.IO.__Error.WriterClosed()
at System.IO.StreamWriter.Flush(Boolean flushStream, Boolean flushEncoder)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.Write(Char[] buffer, Int32 index, Int32 count)
at System.IO.TextWriter.WriteLine(String value)
at System.IO.TextWriter.WriteLine(String format, Object arg0)
at Durrant.DVRMSFileWatcher.ProcessWrap.ap_Exited(Object sender, EventArgs e)

which I understand as meaning the service cannot process the file while it is still being written to/open, which is what a live recording must be!

2. Have people had more success with using dirmon2 as the filewatcher? Or will liveTV detection on WTV files be the same, regardless of what 'watcher' activates comskip?
erik
Site Admin

Re: WMC and comskip, latest consensus?

Post by erik »

Consensus is to wait for 10 minutes
Deihmos

Post by Deihmos »

If you want livetv scanning then you will set dvrmstoolbox wait time to 0 then add a wait time to the scan for commercials profile. I have it set to wait 10 minutes before processing begins.
mogulman

Post by mogulman »

I use win8 x64. I've tried dvrmstoolbox file watcher and dirmon2. set at 10 mins.

Dvrmstoolbox is overkill, but seems to work better for me.

61 works better for me then later versions.

I think there are still some issues with live processing in all the versions. It is less noticeable on 61. For me anyway.

I get intermittent Panic Volume Buffer issues in comskip with live processing. It doesn't happen if files are reprocessed when they are done.
ThePaladinTech

Post by ThePaladinTech »

So couple of questions-

I've been using DVRMStoolbox for a while now, but it seems way overkill and overcomplicated for what I want to do.

Recently I had some issue and I decided to try dirmon2. I have an older version and it seems to no longer be available. Can anyone provide the last version?

Also- how can I set Dirmon2 to wait ten minutes before processing a new file? (Or can I not do that)

---

Correct me, educate me on this. but DirMon2 shows a queue, what it is currently doing, and has a history of what it has done. I am unaware of how to find this with DVRMStoolbox.

Thanks-
ThePaladinTech

Post by ThePaladinTech »

?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

You can't find dirmon2 here, and as I do not use it I can't help you