Donators version 81.064 Crashes with SageTV

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
jtsao

Donators version 81.064 Crashes with SageTV

Post by jtsao »

Had to revert to 81.063 because Comskip quit working after upgrading to 81.064 with SageTV. Comskip command line jobs seem to terminate very quickly upon startup either with SageTV or dirmon2. The comskipGUI program seemed to work fine though on my desktop PC (81.064). Anyone else see a similar problem? Sorry, don't have any more info. at this time.
_J_A_S_O_N_

Re: Donators version 81.064 Crashes with SageTV

Post by _J_A_S_O_N_ »

I'm not sure if I had the same crash, since I haven't tried 81.064 yet. I was having a crash issue with dirmon2 running comskip recently, until I configured dirmon2 to call comskip.exe directly instead of my comskip.bat file. I was using dirmon2 to call a .bat file that started comskip using a start command so I could limit the comskip processes to a single CPU core while troubleshooting some playback issues. In some rare cases, comskip.exe would crash right after being started with an access violation 0xc0000005 exception in the Windows System Event log. It had gotten worse since dropping cable and getting all of my TV by OTA antenna. These recordings that fail to process through dirmon2/comskip will process just fine if I do it manually. I only checked a couple of the recordings that failed to process, and the only thing that stood out to me was these recordings that failed to process had high bit rate (448Kbps Dolby Digital 5.1) audio compared to all other recordings that had 384Kbps or less audio. I'm not sure if that's just a coincidence or if comskip has some other issue when comskip.exe is being called from the nested command prompt environment that is created when dirmon2 calls a .bat that starts a new command window for comskip.

Some more information... I was using comskip donator version 81.052 until earlier this year when I dropped cable. Since dropping cable and going fully OTA, there was a noticeable increase in comskip crashes. With the increase in crashes, I upgraded to 81.061 and 81.062 and the crashes continued. My fix was to configure dirmon2 to run comskip.exe directly instead of calling a .bat file and I haven't noticed a crash since.