Parallel Processing Does Not Generate .edl

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
kadagan

Parallel Processing Does Not Generate .edl

Post by kadagan »

Hello! I'm pretty new to comskip, so I hope I'm providing enough info.. I've googled a lot and searched this forum, and haven't found my answer yet..

My setup: I have NextPVR set up using an HD Homerun source. I set my recordings via Kodi's "Live TV" EPG screen. I view my recordings via the Kodi X-NEWA addon, so that the commercials are actually skipped (since the skipping doesn't work through "Live TV"). All my tv is regular OTA broadcasts, I don't have cable or satellite.

When I manually run comskip (donator version) on my previous recordings, they seem to work well. I haven't done any tuning yet, and haven't made any changes to the default ini file.

I created the parallel processing bat file that was recommended on the NextPVR Wiki, so the contents are:

Code: Select all

@echo off
cd /d "C:\comskip"
comskip %1
(And that's the correct location for my comskip)

When a recording is made, comskip starts, a log is generated, a logo file is made, and a .txt is made, but the .txt is empty. Here's the contents of the log:

http://pastebin.com/R9bGzdPd

Note that I deleted thousands of lines that were repeating, so that the file would be more manageable, and I made a comment about it in the file.

Please let me know how I should attempt to fix this :)

Thanks!
-Jon
Last edited by kadagan on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
Site Admin

Re: Parallel Processing Does Not Generate .edt

Post by erik »

Can you try build 0.81.076 or 0.81.075?
kadagan

Re: Parallel Processing Does Not Generate .edt

Post by kadagan »

erik wrote:Can you try build 0.81.076 or 0.81.075?
Erik,

Thanks for your response! I tried out 0.81.076 before I left for work today, and it seemed to be improved but not perfect.. It may just be that I need to calibrate it now. I grabbed the log and edl files before I left for work, and started to look through them now. The edl contains the following:

671.84	922.52	0
1569.57	1797.86	0
The .txt has this:

FILE PROCESSING COMPLETE  49809 FRAMES AT  2997
-------------------
20135	27648
47040	53882
And the full log file is located here: http://pastebin.com/GxARZb3Y

One part that stood out to me:

Finished scanning file.  Starting to build Commercial List.
WARNING: Timeline errors in the recording!!!! Results may be wrong, .ref input will be misaligned. .txt editing will produce wrong resultsPlatau@[7493] frames 7, volume 60, distance 255 seconds
The recording wasn't anything I watch normally, so I'm not sure if there should have been more commercials or not.. I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, but it definitely didn't chop anything at the beginning. It was an episode of the Andy Griffith Show on MeTV (the first 1/2 hour should I could find that wasn't on PBS).

Do I just need to calibrate/tweak, or did something go wrong here? Should I try running comskip on the recording and see if it comes out differently than the parallel processing did?

Thanks!
-Jon
erik
Site Admin

Re: Parallel Processing Does Not Generate .edl

Post by erik »

Your recording contains timeline errors that will cause erratic skipping over commercials, or not even possible to skip.
kadagan

Post by kadagan »

Hi Erik! I've been running 0.81.076 since you told me to above (and I still haven't spent the time to tune it properly).. It works some of the time, but usually doesn't. It's a pleasant surprise when a commercial is skipped.. Although it is properly doing it parallel to the recording (when it works).

So now that football season is here, I want to actually tune my comskip to be useful.. I thought maybe I should update to the latest version, but the documentation in the forums seems to be a little confusing to me.. Should I go ahead and use 0.81.088 Beta, or is there a better version for me to try? Also, could you point me towards the best instructions for tuning my system? I can't seem to find them now either. Thanks! I really appreciate your hard work!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

0.81.088 beta had been tested extensively and seems to be ok for normal use.
Inside the distribution zip file there are some .htm files containing some documentation