better logo detection

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
yankinoz

better logo detection

Post by yankinoz »

With all your help last week I have a pretty well tuned ini file now. It's clear to me that logo detection is the key to really reliable comskipping. One of the problems I'm having in Australia is with 'window boxed' 4:3 programs that are shown locally in wide screen digital (Oprah and Dr Phil are the big ones - understand there is a Wife Acceptance Factor at work here)

I grabed a screen shot below - sometimes the edges of the windowbox are picked up as 'logo.' Of course there's a message in the log saying 'too big to be a logo' but often (maybe half the time) later in the program it will pick up either a proper logo or will just take the right side.

Is there anyway I can force comskip to only look at the bottom of the screen for logos? Sort of the opposite of the subtitles parameter.

erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Not at the moment but I think this is something to consider.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I uploaded build 50
It has a new parameter, set it to
logo_at_bottom=1
Could you test?
yankinoz

Post by yankinoz »

Hi Erik - thanks for that!

I gave it a go and while it only searches the bottom of the screen it's still picking up the edges of the window box - but just the lower edges. Now the 'logo' it finds is 35% and still 'too big'...

At first, I thought if you could cut off the sides and just search the middle - or maybe have the logo search based on the aspect ratio that is found, but that might not work as there are some broadcasts here that put the logo in the column to the right of the window box.

Here's an idea but might be a bit more complicated to code. If, say after a period of time it keeps finding a logo that is 'too large' then could it reduce the search area based on the aspect ratio?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

OK, I think I know what I should do.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Its implemented, try build 51
yankinoz

Post by yankinoz »

hey - that was cool! It found the edges of the window box, sent a bunch of 'too big to be a logo' messages than after a bit, in zeroed right in on the logo! fantastic!

I've tested against a show with the logo in the black column and it had no problem finding that logo.

I'll keep testing it this week with the various daytime shows that have been giving me problems, but so far this looks really good.

Thanks mate!