Detecting but not removing commercials

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
Post Reply
bgrigg
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Detecting but not removing commercials

Post by bgrigg » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:57 pm

Hello,

New to Comskip (and MCEBuddy), and trying to iron out my setup. Currently using latest paid versions of Comskip and MCEBuddy, current DVR is the Plex beta on Win10. Default comskip profile within MCEB has been working "ok", sometimes it'll miss a commercial or two, and sometimes it'll cut a small portion of the show. Designated Survivor a couple weeks back was only 37 minutes instead of 42 or so. I currently have MCEB to archive the original and using TS-unprocessed, so that it doesn't compress to MP4 (CPU takes ~2hrs per 1hr show), but to remove the commercials completely. Like I said, been working ~90% or so.

So I just replaced the default comskip.ini with the one "US - Comcast Xfinity" thread (still using MCEB to kick off Comskip though). Now it's creating an XML file with the commercial start/stop times but not actually removing them anymore. I most app can utilize EDL files (Kodi for instance), but Plex currently can't (as well as Live TV), so that's why I'm trying to remove them completely. I've searched posts online as well as the INI file, but I can't seem to figure out which setting is responsible for actually deleting the commercials...esp. where I still have MCEB to remove them (not "detect only"). And I'm playing the .TS files just through WMP to rule out Plex as being the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

WhiteKnight
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Detecting but not removing commercials

Post by WhiteKnight » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Your output_edl=1 from your previous config.ini was changed to output_edl=0. Change it back and you will be good to go.

bgrigg
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: Detecting but not removing commercials

Post by bgrigg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:42 am

Thank you! I ended up finding Comskip INI's on MCEBuddy's site (www.mcebuddy2x.com/MCEBUDDY/SHARED_INFO ... ip%20INIs/), and the Comcast one worked great.

I probably would have eventually figured it out, but I was under the impression that an EDL file had a .EDL file extension, so I was thinking the XML was something different (even though I could tell it was for the same purpose).

Funny, during testing (with WMP), one of my test shows (from Food Network HD) would always output as a "corrupt" TS. It would play, but audio and video would be very choppy, and would end prematurely after playing for only a minute or so. Then for the heck of it I tried playing the same "corrupt" TS file in VLC, and it plays flawlessly. I'm guessing it's a codec issue, although other shows played fine in WMP.

Thanks again!

Post Reply