Will a CPU upgrade speed up removal?

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
genaldar

Will a CPU upgrade speed up removal?

Post by genaldar »

I have the donator version and I use it with MCE Buddy (also donator version), currently the computer I use for playback & conversion (and Plex server) has a dual core Pentium with 8GB DDR3 RAM and a GeForce GT 730 (most powerful Nvidia I could find with passive cooling). From reading I know the CPU does all the heavy lifting for Comskip and since I use hardware encoding in MCE Buddy it relies on the GeForce, but what I'd like to know is would upgrade the CPU improve my conversion times? Converting say a half hour HD show takes 16 to 18 minutes, but if I mark the commercials I shave off about 5 minutes, which makes me think Comskip is the bottleneck. What I don't know is would upgrading to an i3 or an i5 make a difference? Or would more RAM?

On the other hand it doesn't seem to fully utilize the CPU now so is the issue a setting in MCE Buddy?

Thanks

btw in case you're wondering I mark the commercials on some shows because Comskip is hit or miss on a few shows; Good Eats on Cooking Channel, Scrubs on Comedy Central & Fuse, Psych on my local ION; and I don't even know where to start with making a custom ini so this seems easier.
erik
Site Admin

Re: Will a CPU upgrade speed up removal?

Post by erik »

Did you enable multi threaded decoding?
Did you enable lowres?
genaldar

Post by genaldar »

erik wrote:Did you enable multi threaded decoding?
Did you enable lowres?
Thread count is set to 2 (no HT supported by this processor) so I'll try setting lowres to 10.

Thanks
genaldar

Post by genaldar »

I haven't seen any improvement speedwise.

But correcting my first post it does already hit the CPU hard for parts of the conversion process, my guess is that I just hadn't checked during one of the CPU intensive phases.