How to handle beginning/end of recording?

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
undefined_sequence

How to handle beginning/end of recording?

Post by undefined_sequence »

Hello everyone!

When I record tv shows from the German TV station "ProSieben", the commercials are in the middle of the episodes and between two episodes, there's nothing. I record a ~5min padding before/after each episode which I'd like to be detected as commercial. The logo disappears briefly between two episodes but it's really difficult to accurately detect that as commercial break.

I've read that erik suggested somewhere to simply not add a padding but the problem is that ProSieben doesn't have 'EIT p/f' (accurate recording) so I would either have a bit cut off or something to much.

Now I'm asking how you guys and girls are handling scenarios like this. Are there any special tricks that you use? Any input is grealy appreciated.

Have a good one,
Ben (undefined_sequence)
erik
Site Admin

Re: How to handle beginning/end of recording?

Post by erik »

Did you try the cutting on logo changes?
Will not solve all problems as this requires perfect logo detection and this may be difficult.
Otherwise I have no suggestions
undefined_sequence

Re: How to handle beginning/end of recording?

Post by undefined_sequence »

erik wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:51 pm Did you try the cutting on logo changes?
How do I activate that?
erik wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:51 pm this requires perfect logo detection
That shouldn't be a problem, ProSieben logo seems to be recognized pretty well.

While this should create accurate cutpoints, is there a way to make sure the stuff before/after gets deleted? I would try to force 'no logo' to be a commercial so that the ~1sec without logo would get cut off, a sacrifice I would be willing to make.

Only marginally related, does 'aggressive_logo_rejection' with 1 or higher detect less or more logo?