Functionality lost in Commercial Reviewing Mode with 0.79.59

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
jbodin

Functionality lost in Commercial Reviewing Mode with 0.79.59

Post by jbodin »

I upgraded to version 0.79.59 a few days ago and started experiencing problems -- the first problem I've encountered is that when I utilize the .txt file generated by Comskip as instructed in order to review the detected commercials, I can then use the navigation keys as I normally would and I can insert and delete new cut marks, but when I use the 'w' key to write the current (new) commercial list to the .txt file and all other selected output formats, the Comskip debug window now just shuts down; the new .txt file and all other selected output format files are generated, but they're now empty and if I try to re-use the resultant .txt file the only thing marked in the lead-in portion before the first commercial break.

The only other thing I had done recently besides the upgrade to version 0.79.59 was to tweak a few settings in my Comskip.ini file in order to disable the debug preview for GB-PVR compatibility, and I also recently did do some testing with the latest USA-compatible Comskip.ini file to see if Erik's settings would be better than my tweaked settings. I reverted to my previous Comskip.ini file, though, because my previous detection scheme seemed to work better for my purposes.

As far as GB-PVR goes, the only thing I do is run Comskip as a post-processing task (in Postprocessing.bat), and then I use the .txt file to do the final tweaks manually before cutting -- I have been manually adjusting the marked commmercials if necessary, use the 'w' keystroke to write the new marked files, then manually kick off Comclean2 by dragging-and-dropping the .mpg file to my Comclean2.bat shortcut, but now that I can't use the 'w' command to save the new marked files, I'm more-or-less dead in the water. I even tried to revert to the previous version of Comskip by overwriting all of the files with those from an older version, but that didn't help.

That's not the only thing going on, though -- additionally, the functionality of the "Comclean2" batch file and Cuttermaran seems to be broken for me now as well. The problem seems to be that the .cpf file generated by Comskip is specifying an extension in the outfile, but the output files then end up with the file extension listed TWICE, like this:

INPUT FILES:

test.m2v
test.mp2

OUTPUT FILES FROM CUTTERMARAN:

test_clean.m2v.m2v
test_clean.mp2.mp2

What's hapening is that now when I drag-and-drop the .mpg file to be edited into my Comclean2.bat shortcut, the batch file demuxes the file correctly, then Cuttermaran actually DOES do the editing, but when the batch file tries to multiplex the files using mplex1, the process crashes because the files produced by Cuttermaran are mis-named. I can fix this part by modifying the Comclean2 batch file to allow for the duplicate file extensions as follows, but I don't recall ever having to do this previously:

RECOMMENDED FIX:

mplex1 "%~dpn1_clean.m2v.m2v" "%~dpn1_clean.mp2.mp2" "%~dpn1_clean.mpg"

I noticed that in the resultant .cpf file generated by Comskip, the "outfile" parameter now lists a file extension, but I thought I saw some Cuttermaran documentation last night that specified that a file extension should NOT be used with the "outfile" parameter (can't find the reference now, unfortunately). My batch file modification work-around should solve my Comclean2 functionality problem, but unless I can figure out why I've lost the ability to preview, edit, and re-write new output files manually in Comskip, I'm hosed.

Any ideas or suggestions?

One item to note: For manual editing, I have Comskip and Comclean2 installed in a separate directory from my GB-PVR installation (I do some captures outside of GB-PVR), and I also have copies of Comskip and Comclean2 (these SHOULD be the same versions) in my GB-PVR install directory to be called from the "Postprocessing.bat" file).
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The newest cuttermaran version does require the extension to be present.
That is why I added it.

I can not reproduce the problem you have with editing the .txt file.
jbodin

Post by jbodin »

Thanks Erik -- I'll make sure I'm using the latest version of Cuttermaran. I've got some ideas about what might be going on with editing and the .txt file, so I'll let you know if I get it figured out.
jbodin

Post by jbodin »

Problem solved -- I made sure that both locations where I have Comskip installed have the same Comskip.ini file AND the same version (I rolled back to version 79.48 because I was positive that my tweaked Comskip.ini file worked properly with that version).

I did discover that I had version 79.48 in my "working" directory and 79.59 in my GB-PVR directory -- apparently having different versions on the same drive and different directories was enough to cause problems, it seems.

At any rate, all is well now, and I now have all my previous Comskip and Comclean functionality (MANY thanks to you Erik for bringing us these gems, BTW!).

:)