Ratings logo as marker?

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
az1324

Ratings logo as marker?

Post by az1324 »

First of all, let me just say I'm very impressed at the coding on this program.

I just found this tool, so I'm not very familiar with it yet. I'm attempting to use it for tivo recordings. I was wondering if it takes into account the ratings logo when defining cut points. This could be a huge benefit to marking the end of commercials as it must be displayed at the start of the program and sometimes when returning from breaks (a few seconds after and during which time network logo not necessarily displayed) and it has a pretty standard format.

Taking this into account, along with the fact that a lot of shows begin by running clips from the previous week's episode where the network logo is not always present, could help eliminate erroneously cutting the beginning portion of shows.

I saw on the other forum that your location is Netherlands, so I don't know if you know what i mean with ratings logo. It is for USA. Here are some examples.

Here's some more info on it:
http://www.fcc.gov/parents/tvratings.html

Thanks!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

The logo's are indeed similar but not the same. and also not positioned at the same location.

Are they ALWAYS at the same location on a certain channel?
Do they ALWAYS look the same at a certain channel?

After some tuning most people find that for most channels results become very reliable even without these logo's being recognized. In case you experience problems tuning I will be glad to help you.
az1324

Post by az1324 »

Well I will have to study it a little bit more to figure out if the logos for each station vary from show to show. Either way, the presence of the logo in the upper left quadrant of the screen whose mask fits the pattern of a ratings logo within a certain tolerance would still be a good factor to include in the list of things considered by the program imho.

In the meantime, I definitely have a lot of tuning to do.

Would it be possible to manually make a list of commercial cuts, feed it to comskip, and have it automatically configure itself so that its output matched those cuts? Training instead of tuning, i guess?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

That is a nice dream but not possible at the moment.
I have looked into using neural networks to train comskip but the results are not very promising.

Does the tuning guide provide you with some insight?
Are you able to use the debugwindow?
Do you understand the blocklist in the log file?

Finding a similar logo at about the same location would require much to much processing power I am afraid.

If you want some quick advice on tuning you can send me a .csv generated with output_framearray=1 and in addition a (such as an edited .txt file) showing where the commercials should be.
Zip them up and mail them and I will have a look.
az1324

Post by az1324 »

Well I'm just starting to read through the documentation and forum posts, but I have a good overview of what the process is. Are there any more in depth explanations of the modifiers that control the score increase of the different parameters?

Also, it has happened where the commercial comes at the beginning of the show and due to the padding the resulting cutpoint is a negative value. Any way to say ignore padding if it makes the result <> an endpoint of the show?

Lastly, when using mpgtx to cut tivo mpg files, audio errors are introduced. I'm trying to find another command line mpg cutting tool that will not do this.

The debug window doesn't much like my tivo mpgs either.

Tivo mpegs do contain cc data so maybe there is a way to read that?

I will email you some samples. Thanks.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

COmskip does read CC data, you can enable it by adding 16 to the value of the detect_method.

Could you upload to my ftp server a converted tivo file so I can repair the debugwindow preview?

I will start to add the modifiers to the tuning guide.
az1324

Post by az1324 »

I do have the CC enabled but it isn't able to read any data. I think the problem is with the mpg format that i'm using. hopefully after you get a look at a file we can make some progress.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I solved the bug that causes debugwindow to hang with the TIVO files.
Comskip79_6.zip