I Am Very Confused

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
shadowbeast

I Am Very Confused

Post by shadowbeast »

Alright, I just got an external USB ATSC TV Tuner device and it works excellently, however when I record shows I have the commercials. That is where this comes in. I have downloaded GB-PVR only to find that it does not support my device. I read somewhere that I can use com-skip and com-clean as standalone without GB-PVR. How would I do this?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Once you have recorded you run comskip on the recorded show

Possibility to do this manual. Drag and drop the recording on comskip.exe
Better to create a cmd file.
En example is inside the comskip zip file. Its called postprocessing.bat. Is more complex than required but reading the file helps to understand

I assume the ATSC tuner records in TS or DVR-MS format?
Then you can not use comclean.

Simpler is to use a media player that can play the recording and that can read the output of comskip.
Example of players that can read comskip output are zoomplayer and mplayer. They may not work on dvr-ms files

If the recording is done in dvr-ms format you may be able to use dvrcut.
See earlier post on this forum
shadowbeast

Post by shadowbeast »

I very much appreciate it!! I will try that when I get back from the class I am about to go to. Oh yea, and my tuner does not record, it reads and then the computer records it on the hard drive as an MPEG file. So hopefully everything should go according to plan.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

MPEG files come in multiple forms. They all have MPEG inside but the outside looks very different.
I was talking about the outside.
shadowbeast

Post by shadowbeast »

I don't understand what you mean by "outside" and "inside"?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

All the files I mention contain MPEG video and MPEG (or AC3) audio.
The content is however packaged in different ways and certain tools can handle certain ways of packaging.

.MPG, .TS and .dvr-ms are three different ways of packaging an MPEG file.
shadowbeast

Post by shadowbeast »

OH, you mean the extension. Well if thats what you meant, then the extension is .mpg.
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

Then you should normally be able to use comclean as described in the documentation
shadowbeast

Post by shadowbeast »

ALright, I really appreciate all of the help you have given me but I do have one more question. Is the original file the one being edited or does comskip output a new one. As far as I am concerned comskip detects the commercials in the file, and then you run it through comclean to delete them correct?
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

YOur last statement is correct
Comskip does not do anything to the original mpeg.
It only outputs a small text file that comclean reads to know what to "clean out of the mpeg"
Comclean creates a backup of the original file in case things go very wrong.