comskip buffer

Here you can ask your questions on how to use Comskip for the detection of commercials. Also questions on how to remove commercials are welcome
jonny

comskip buffer

Post by jonny »

I am trying to get my slightly slow computer to optimize performance of comskip _while_ i am recording, and I noticed that there is a command line switch for the buffer. Would changing the buffer size to something larger than 4mb increase performance?

(My problem is with gbpvr recording a show, and comskip working on it, my computer will slow down periodically, and not let me do anything else for about 30 seconds)
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I can not find a command line switch setting a buffer.
The buffering size will also not have a big impact (its already large enough), its more the overall disk IO and the access to a lot of memory that slows down your computer.
There is a command line switch (-n or --playnice) that slows down comskip.
Did you try that?
Is memory limited in your system?
jonny

Post by jonny »

i use the playnice switch, and it does help. I have 512mb of memory, so there is enough, but not more than enough. I was just hoping to squeeze out a little better performance. Is there anything in the config file that I can do?

Thanks for a great product and great support!
erik
Site Admin

Post by erik »

I wil make the effect of the playnice switch configurable so the impact can be increased.
Next release!